Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Water pump & Timing chain replacement ?'s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Water pump & Timing chain replacement ?'s
93nIFtYgT
¯
Member # 7804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93nIFtYgT  Ford pictures for 93nIFtYgT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up guys? I had a few questions about replacing the water pump and timing chain... I have to replace radiator hoses on my 93 gt. I have 114k on the engine and it is completly stock. I was thinking if I replace the hoses then might as well get to the timing chain and water pump at the same time since it seems to be at that mileage in which maintence is due on those parts. Do you guys think its a good idea? Or just go buy the "if it ain't broke don't try & fix it" saying? If it is a good idea I was wondering on how hard the replacement would be? Does it take certain skill, patience, and tools? Or is it pretty straight forward? Or if there is anything to be aware of? I would appreciate any insight or info to help me out. Thanks guys
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess you can take the water pump off. And if it looks really corroded at the water ports, then I guess it would be a good time to replace the chain, timing cover, and pump.

If it's not all corroded, then I guess it's up in the air on it. You'll need front oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket, water pump gasket (which should come with the new water pump), main crank pulley puller.

I did it like 3 times during my rebuild. Long story. [patriot]

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
xpeetypx
¯
Member # 8737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xpeetypx  Ford pictures for xpeetypx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might as well do it. But yeah you need the crank pully remover. Other than that it should be an easy moderate job to do. Since your there do the t-stat too. Dont forget theres 2 gaskets on the water pump. One for the pump to plate and one for the plate to block.

[ March 21, 2009, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: xpeetypx ]

Posts: 76 | From: Central Valley | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
93nIFtYgT
¯
Member # 7804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93nIFtYgT  Ford pictures for 93nIFtYgT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright guys sounds good.. I gotta take out the oil pan also?isn't that a timely task? I wasn't aware of that.. And where could I find that crank pully remover? Is it expensive or no? Thanks for all the info; it seems pretty simple but I have never attempted it. Just trying to do it right the first time.. Good looking out guys!!
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it ain't broke...don't fix it. I see no purpose with the "recreational" maintenance. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just the part under the timing cover. When you order a gasket set for timing cover at a local parts store they'll include all gaskets and the oil pan gasket under the timing cover.

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers
¯
Member # 8971

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers  Ford pictures for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
If it ain't broke...don't fix it. I see no purpose with the "recreational" maintenance. [Wink]

+1 With the luck ive had as soon as I fix something that wasnt broken,something breaks [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P MATT "4-Speed King"

Posts: 179 | From: RICHMOND,CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the timming chain should last you way longer that 114k miles. i wouldnt worry about it. just do the water pump, hoses and t stat.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
93nIFtYgT
¯
Member # 7804

Oh really.. I wasn't aware of that, but it's good to know. Around what mileage is it recommended to start looking into the timing chain?
unoerun408w
¯
Member # 6141

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for unoerun408w  Ford pictures for unoerun408w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my brother has 198000 never changed timing chain or water pump that doesn't mean u shouldn't check it but I'm wit Gabe if you start trying to fix things that are not broke they usually start to brake and cause more problems if your not sure u need to have someone u no that knows about cars look at it first to see if u even need to do anything

--------------------
fast and clean
R. C. Racing and Restoration
Go BIG or STAY the FUCK home
Wutchu Got

Posts: 172 | From: cali, bay area, 510 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since your already in that area you might as well do the chain, ya itll last a bit longer but guarentee its really loose, whaqt if you do all this and put it back together and 5000 miles or less down the road your chain breaks, youd be regreting not doing it. Its very simple to do maybe take you half the day if that and you dont have to take the oil pan off just the four bolts on the bottom of the timing cover. You can rent a pulley puller at kragen or auto zone with full return after your done. If your in sac and need some help let me know. Good luck.

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com