Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam upgrade question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cam upgrade question
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know this question has been asked quite a bit so sorry, lol, but im thinking about upgrading my cam from an E303 to something a little better, maybe F303 or Trickflow? cant afford a custom cam right now, so please let me know what off the shelf cam would be better in performance and sound meaner. heres my set up:

H/C/I, full bolt ons, full exhaust,vortech S-trim 8-10 psi, 255 lph forced induction holley in tank fuel pump, 42 lb injectors, etc.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F is'nt bad for blown car. I have a very similar setup to Your's with AFR 185's & sc trim and it rev's clean to 6500 rev limit although I have an AOD with a decent stall so I could'nt tell Ya if You would have any low end loss, hell anything will be bettter than the E! Comp makes some pretty good cam's if You do some research and find somene with a similar combo that has had good result's? I believe custom's are only around 350 buck's so it might be worth it to save a couple more buck's and You will gain some good power!!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

STANGSALLY76
¯
Member # 5342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGSALLY76  Ford pictures for STANGSALLY76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
x-cam or tfs stage-1 with 1.7 rockers works
very well for off the shelf.

--------------------
92 LX deep into the 10's on the motor with street tires coming soon
its just a little small block

Posts: 1133 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since u are supercharged.... F303 will do for the cheapest price

if u want a better cam, CCA-35-306-8

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
brian at hitech motorsports got me a custom shippeed to the door for 317 bucks exactly. some of them comp cams will leave you only a few bucks shy of this.uless you plan on upgrading your valve train to support its almost useless. i never understood that until i talked to shaun at aed and had my car on the dyno and saw what happens, basically the silent killer will be your valve float and rocker arm deflection if you aren't running quality stuff. this is not to say you wont make power with a new cam so much as how much and where will it fall of to determine if it is worth it. please don't take this the wrong way it is something i just recently learned from experience
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707vibrantcobra93:
unless you plan on upgrading your valve train to support its almost useless.

ya true.....

quote:
i never understood that until i talked to shaun at aed and had my car on the dyno and saw what happens, basically the silent killer will be your valve float and rocker arm deflection if you aren't running quality stuff.

[worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
brian at hitech motorsports got me a custom shippeed to the door for 317 bucks exactly. some of them comp cams will leave you only a few bucks shy of this.uless you plan on upgrading your valve train to support its almost useless. i never understood that until i talked to shaun at aed and had my car on the dyno and saw what happens, basically the silent killer will be your valve float and rocker arm deflection if you aren't running quality stuff. this is not to say you wont make power with a new cam so much as how much and where will it fall of to determine if it is worth it. please don't take this the wrong way it is something i just recently learned from experience

+1 this is a very acurate post. Most custom cams are on very agressive profiles which need some very nice valve train pieces..I ran a ecam in my blown set up it worked pretty well 11.4 at 124 at sac a few years ago(about 4)

[ November 26, 2008, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn thats a sexy time (11.4) with an e cam
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

trust me dude the shit aint cheep i just spent a thousand bucks between cam and valvetrain and i didnt even get all the best stuff
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
trust me dude the shit aint cheep i just spent a thousand bucks between cam and valvetrain and i didnt even get all the best stuff

yup Shaun gave me part numbers to pretty much top of the line valvetrain parts and i was like oh shit!

comp valve springs $150
comp Ti retainers $300+
comp locks $23
comp seals $TBD
billet timing chain $70
comp pushrods $150
scorpian rockers $230
custom cam $325

grand total plus cost of labor, gaskets, and tuning = [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

when my car is done and i can start smashing on foos.....

PRICELESS!! [dance]

i have the rockers and timing chain so far, so thats a start lol [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

lol you do not have to tell me, I do not want to add up what I have into the valve train on my 408....But I do have some really good stuff

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

drew told me to get the comp stainless 1.73 rockers they were damn 410 bucks but i won't be crying when shaun has me on the dyno again
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one of my boys runs trickflow heads/edelbrock performer intake/b-cam w 1.7's and an s-trim. Car traps in the 120's range pretty solid times for a cheap set up

--------------------
*NorCal

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com