Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » getting heads o-ringed

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: getting heads o-ringed
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im changing the head gaskets and have the heads pulled off, should I have them O-ringed before installing them?

Edelbrock aluminum performers

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends on your setup, if you are running really high compression, nitrous or high boost, then i would lean towards yes, but i have no idea what your setup is
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is a H/C/I, vortech S-trim 8-10 psi, full bolt ons, full exhaust set up. 9:5:1 comp

--------------------
ET's to come

STANGSALLY76
¯
Member # 5342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGSALLY76  Ford pictures for STANGSALLY76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont waste your money on o-ring just get a nice
set of cometic head gaskets and arp stud kit.

--------------------
92 LX deep into the 10's on the motor with street tires coming soon
its just a little small block

Posts: 1133 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah im with Stangsally, and dont you need to have an o-ringed block for oringed heads to fit?

--------------------
*NorCal

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by STANGSALLY76:
dont waste your money on o-ring just get a nice
set of cometic head gaskets and arp stud kit.

Thanks man, I wont do the O-rings. by the way, how much does it cost to do that?

--------------------
ET's to come

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cometic's are a complete waste for a replacement application. Unless the machine work (less than 50 RA) prep to the head surface has already been done, you will not get a good efficient sealing surface.

You'd be better off with a FelPro 9333 gasket and a good tune when doing a swapout like yours. Also, if it popped a HG, you need to find the root cause and not just throw parts at it. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need the same prep on the block as the heads with cometics. I o-ringed my block last year(borrowed a tool did it my self) so far it is working great. I have even seen were people o-ring blocks or heads and use the felpro gakets JohnB mentioned. In a perfect world you do not need it or if you can afford all the dyno tuning and feed back control systems.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Cometic's are a complete waste for a replacement application. Unless the machine work (less than 50 RA) prep to the head surface has already been done, you will not get a good efficient sealing surface.

You'd be better off with a FelPro 9333 gasket and a good tune when doing a swapout like yours. Also, if it popped a HG, you need to find the root cause and not just throw parts at it. [Wink]

the root cause was detination due to me being throttle happy before getting it to the tuner lol. I think im just gonna go with an $80 felpro MLS gasket and trailer it to the tuner. If I can afford it, would it be worth it in the long run to buy a set of expensive heavy duty gaskets?

--------------------
ET's to come

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Hey John, I think I met you before? maybe last year in sacramento at the ampm right before the track, you were in your lifted white ford pickup? I was in my white 92 Lx pumpin gas right next to you and you asked if I was a member to this site lol. [patriot]

--------------------
ET's to come

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
quote:

the root cause was detination due to me being throttle happy before getting it to the tuner lol. I think im just gonna go with an $80 felpro MLS gasket and trailer it to the tuner. If I can afford it, would it be worth it in the long run to buy a set of expensive heavy duty gaskets?
I believe felpro MlS gaskets need the better finish also or you will seap water...

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey John, I think I met you before? maybe last year in sacramento at the ampm right before the track, you were in your lifted white ford pickup? I was in my white 92 Lx pumpin gas right next to you and you asked if I was a member to this site lol. [patriot]

Yup, quite possible~ and I ALWAYS try to ask around and get the word out about the website! [Cool]

And yes, the FelPro MLS gaskets will leak in a street application, especially around the lower head bolts...even with sealing the threads. 9333's for the win. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm blown head gasket or bent rod?

Ill take a blown head gasket 9333's for the win!!

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

hmmm I have used o-rings and comectics never bent a rod? You need better rods obviously.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedStang  Ford pictures for WickedStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Yup, quite possible~ and I ALWAYS try to ask around and get the word out about the website! [Cool]

And yes, the FelPro MLS gaskets will leak in a street application, especially around the lower head bolts...even with sealing the threads. 9333's for the win. [Smile]

Here u go from Kragens, cant beat the price

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=9333PT1&PartType=100&PTSet=A

I have ran this in a high comp motor with some juice and no problem! Just make sure ur head aint warped.

[ November 27, 2008, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: WickedStang ]

--------------------
04 mach1 BASSANI EXHAUST/C&L INTAKE
67STANG/CHP 347/BUILT C4/MOROSO DRAG SUSP.

Posts: 1581 | From: salinas831 | Registered: May 2007  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
hmmm I have used o-rings and comectics never bent a rod? You need better rods obviously.

Yes Obviously.

I much rather have the weak link in my engine be a rod then a headgasket that wont blow.

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

lol what makes you think cometic's won't blow or burn?

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com