Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car Won't Start...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Won't Start...
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, so I have a 00 GT. On Saturday, the car would turn and fire and immediately shut off. I checked the vacuum lines and replaced a cracked hose.

So, we tried starting it again and it would turn, fire, start and die. So I cleaned the IAC. Went to try to start it again, and it won't even start anymore. My theory at the time is that we drained the battery from all of the previous starts (alternator couldn't recharge the battery).

Fast forward to Sunday. Car won't start at all still. So I take the battery from my Cobra, which is good, and put it in the GT. Nothing. So I jumped the battery and the motor SLOWLY turned over but did not fire. So I immediately put that battery back in my Cobra and it started right up.

So I have my head all confused because I can't distinguish if I have two problems or one.

Things I've tried:

Rechecked the alternator - It's Good
Checked Vacuum - Good
Checked battery - Good
Cleaned IAC - Done
Checked MAF - Done
Cleaned TB - Done

Punched a hole in the wall - Done. (Need an estimate for repair) lol jk.

If you have input, let me know, thanks.

PS:

One other question, do I need to have the motor turn over in order to check spark? Or is there current through the wire with just the key on?

[ November 18, 2008, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Tha91SiCkNeSs ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the battery cables or possibly the starter?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ yes you have to turn the motor over to check spark. have you checked you spark plugs to make sure that you havent fouled them out with all the cranking?
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'd be doin' some voltage drops on the starter cables. also, visually check the cables. is it a no crank situation now?
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Dennis L
¯
Member # 5014

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dennis L  Ford pictures for Dennis L    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you cleaned the battery posts and terminals? How about the ground cable where it attached to the engine? Yes, you need to be able to turn the engine over to check for spark. I just had a these problem on my truck.

--------------------
Dennis L

91MSDFox
¯
Member # 8749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91MSDFox  Ford pictures for 91MSDFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would do voltage drop on the battery terminals and wires to the starter

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
jae jae has one but it's usually doing donuts in his car while he's video taping....

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry for the delay in reply. I actually didn't have to check the starter wires or do any voltage drops in any of the circuits.

Even though I cleaned the IAC, it turned out to be the IAC. I had to buy a new one though. Usually, you can just clean those out and it works but I guess I was wrong this time...

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com