Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT THE F!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for MR.COUPE  Ford pictures for MR.COUPE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so I got the 3g swap all done today and what do u know,STILL NO CHARGE! so my conclusion is that my alternator harness is faulty cus I'm out of options.QUESTION what wire tells the alternator to turn on? eny comments would be MUCH appreciated.alright ima drink a beer now. [Mad] [BS flag] its not that serious I just wanna drive the damn thing already.
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do you know its not charging?

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He got the alt from me and I'm 100% sure it works so there's some other issue going on. Any idea's on what to check? I'm going down tomorrow and am going to see what I can figure out but would like to know what the wires in the small plug do to control the charging.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR.COUPE  Ford pictures for MR.COUPE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok,well I think (hopefully)i found my issue.I just need to know if the green with red strip on the smaller alternator plug plays any role in the charging system,and if so what? because mine isn't hooked up.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is your amp light coming on??
Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR.COUPE  Ford pictures for MR.COUPE  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
is your amp light coming on??

honestly haven't relly paid attention but don't recall one
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i beleive that wire is for your amp light and gauge. so if thats not hooked up you will get the batt light on and no amp guage working.

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if u have a fox body and your having trouble with the altenator charging the battery, there is a fuseable link in the wiring.. you just have to look for it but i am positive there is 1. i had the same issue with my 92... mine stop charging due to that link being burnt out... i put a better link and it was all good after that...

[ September 10, 2008, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: 302 DROP ]

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the alt. pulley. If its the original 3g one then it might be to big,...this would cause it to spin slower hence less charge.

I had this issue with mine. I put my oem pulley on the 3g one since it was almost half the size. Being smaller it made its rotation faster....result in charging properly.

Best of luck. Your talkin wires so my suggestion may be usless. But worth considering.

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might be that your useing the efi harness. but not useing the computer.? there is always the one wire alt for the fix.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
might be that your useing the efi harness. but not useing the computer.? there is always the one wire alt for the fix.

I am.. [Embarrassed] that could be it,
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by badazlx:
i beleive that wire is for your amp light and gauge. so if thats not hooked up you will get the batt light on and no amp guage working.

I'm getting a voltage reading but its only reading what the battery puts out.it don't clim or raise when the cars on
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR.COUPE:
quote:

I'm getting a voltage reading but its only reading what the battery puts out.it don't clim or raise when the cars on
did u check the fuseable link?
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:

I'm getting a voltage reading but just what the battery puts out.it doesn't raise or climb when the cars on.but drops all the way when cars allthe way off
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by 302 DROP:
quote:
quote:

did u check the fuseable link?
if the link was bad or broke I wouldn't be getting any power the alternator right? well both plugs to the alternator are getting power,-the yellow one on the smaller plug and the two black with orange strip on the bigger one so there power going but not being returned. I took the alternators to kragens and they both checked out.
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
check the alt. pulley. If its the original 3g one then it might be to big,...this would cause it to spin slower hence less charge.

I had this issue with mine. I put my oem pulley on the 3g one since it was almost half the size. Being smaller it made its rotation faster....result in charging properly.

Best of luck. Your talkin wires so my suggestion may be usless. But worth considering.

I have aluminum pully kit.think the pully is smaller but ill check it out
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

mine had a low voltage of power and had a very low rate on idle
MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by 302 DROP:
mine had a low voltage of power and had a very low rate on idle

alright how do I know if its bad? will it be broke?burnt?
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok first off the fact that u are not running a computer anymore could be the problem but not likely as it does not tell the alt to do anything.

second thing is the little wire just needs a female connector and u can plug that in but i belive it is for the gauge. the plug that goes to the alt is for the voltage regulator that controls how much volts to put out.

third i am going to bet it is ur fuseable link! i believe it is yellow in color and it connects to the starter silenoid. try to bypass is to see if it fixes the problem. i have had that burnout on me and caused the same problem! DO NOT LEAVE IT BYPASSED THOUGH! ONLY DO THAT TO SEE IF IT IS THE PROBLEM..GET A NEW FUSEABLE LINK IF THAT ONE IS BAD!

HOPE THIS HELPS!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

quote:
Originally posted by BlownMach1:
ok first off the fact that u are not running a computer anymore could be the problem but not likely as it does not tell the alt to do anything.

second thing is the little wire just needs a female connector and u can plug that in but i belive it is for the gauge. the plug that goes to the alt is for the voltage regulator that controls how much volts to put out.

third i am going to bet it is ur fuseable link! i believe it is yellow in color and it connects to the starter silenoid. try to bypass is to see if it fixes the problem. i have had that burnout on me and caused the same problem! DO NOT LEAVE IT BYPASSED THOUGH! ONLY DO THAT TO SEE IF IT IS THE PROBLEM..GET A NEW FUSEABLE LINK IF THAT ONE IS BAD!

HOPE THIS HELPS!

k I check the fuesable link and its fine,on the regulator plug what is the green wire?

[ September 10, 2008, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: MR.COUPE ]

MR.COUPE
¯
Member # 8410

problem solved!! it ended up being the green wire I was askin about. right on asskickin88. it just nedded power to it.lol [Big Grin] [dance] [patriot]
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
problem solved!! it ended up being the green wire I was askin about. right on asskickin88. it just nedded power to it.lol [Big Grin] [dance] [patriot]

No problem, I started thinking about it after I got home and remembered that wire needed power not ground. Glad it worked out.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
edit.. didnt read that it was fixed already..

[ September 12, 2008, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: 89foxstang ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com