Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cant smog car and i want to sell

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cant smog car and i want to sell
Jared
¯
Member # 5405

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jared  Ford pictures for Jared    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys i ran into a little problem with my 89 5.0... I am trying to get rid of it and needed to smog it and have non of the stock parts for it. so i took it to a shop and they wanted to charge me i think 1k-1.5k to smog my car and i dont want to dump that kind of money in it right before i sell it.

Are you able to sell the car un smogged in california and if you are able to are there any down falls to it besides not being able to get as much out of it. Any help will be greatly appreaciated Thank you..

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The answer to your question is sort of. Legally you as the seller are 100% responsible for getting the car smogged as far as DMV and California is concerned. Now the buyer may be willing to take the car unsmogged and do the work themselves to make it work. You may find someone who has another Mustang and can swap the needed parts to make the smog work.

Also I have heard many times you may get as much if not more for your car if you part out the valuable parts then take the car shell to the junk yard and cut it into 4 pieces.

So I hope this helps.

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
register the car non-op and sell it "for parts"

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jared
¯
Member # 5405

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jared  Ford pictures for Jared    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i do that where do i point out that im selling it for parts, in the bill of sale?

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jared:
If i do that where do i point out that im selling it for parts, in the bill of sale?

yes, and the original ad if you are advertising it in print or online.

I'd suggest keeping copies of everything as well, and making sure you get the buyer to sign the bill of sale that states it as for parts, with non-op reg.

btw, I can't think of anything that would cost $1500 for getting a 5.0 to pass smog, if you need new cats I'm sure you could find an h-pipe used for $50, and you can replace every sensor on the engine + both o2 sensors for under $200

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuck it do a under the table smog for a like 2 hun and keep it movin

--------------------
im all outta favors fuck you pay me! jus me an ma wife!

Posts: 426 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ofcourse, if you non-op it and sell it for "parts". The person that buys it then will end up with a salvage title.

It's a shame that California has to be so fucked up when it comes to things like that.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

yes, and the original ad if you are advertising it in print or online.

I'd suggest keeping copies of everything as well, and making sure you get the buyer to sign the bill of sale that states it as for parts, with non-op reg.

btw, I can't think of anything that would cost $1500 for getting a 5.0 to pass smog, if you need new cats I'm sure you could find an h-pipe used for $50, and you can replace every sensor on the engine + both o2 sensors for under $200

Exactly, what parts are you missing? Stock smog parts can be had for next to nothing here on this site. Your best bet it to try and put it back to smog legal status before selling it. If you can't do the work yourself there are people on this board who do side jobs. Selling it w/o smog is a real pain in the ass.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what mods are on it? Why won't it pass? How much do you want for it I don't care about smog

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

Jared
¯
Member # 5405

currently it has

Typhoon Upper / lower polished intake manifold
Typhoon polished 70mm TB
BBK Fenderwall CAI
C%L 73mm MAF
BBK Underdrive pUlleys
BBK Shorty Unequal length headesr
BBK Xpipe hallowed out cats
Single chamber flows w/ dumps
Tokico SHocks / struts / 2 in lowering springs
Blue Oval Upper / lower control arms
3.55's
Stage 2 centerforce clutch
UPR shifter handle
Sony speakers back / front and deck
17x9 saleen replica rims
autogage tachometer
tinted windows

car has a clean title i just want to get 3k for it i dont wanna part it out or anything. car's been sitting in my front yard for about a year and a half and i just got a ticket for it not being registered so i just wanna get rid of it.

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats bullshit, if it wasnt on the road it doesnt need to be registered. private property is just that, private. fight that bitch in court
Jared
¯
Member # 5405

sorry i didnt clarify. It was sitting on the street infront of my house.

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
Ofcourse, if you non-op it and sell it for "parts". The person that buys it then will end up with a salvage title.

It's a shame that California has to be so fucked up when it comes to things like that.

that is not true
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
quote:

that is not true
hahaha so not true...

Also dude sellin car....don't give up now! Keep the car.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
currently it has

Typhoon polished 70mm TB
BBK Fenderwall CAI
C%L 73mm MAF
BBK Underdrive pUlleys
3.55's
UPR shifter handle
17x9 saleen replica rims
autogage tachometer
tinted windows

car has a clean title i just want to get 3k for it i dont wanna part it out or anything. car's been sitting in my front yard for about a year and a half and i just got a ticket for it not being registered so i just wanna get rid of it.

it would seem your car would pass smog with $300 worth of parts and labor to me, a used stock h-pipe with good cats, and an hour to swap it in.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
post some pics of it...im kind of interested..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Jared
¯
Member # 5405

-

-

-

-

dont got to many pics of it atm. interior is in pretty good condition

[ April 22, 2008, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Jared ]

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
currently it has

Typhoon polished 70mm TB
BBK Fenderwall CAI
C%L 73mm MAF
BBK Underdrive pUlleys
3.55's
UPR shifter handle
17x9 saleen replica rims
autogage tachometer
tinted windows

it would seem your car would pass smog with $300 worth of parts and labor to me, a used stock h-pipe with good cats, and an hour to swap it in.
He's also gonna have to ditch the breather and put a stock air box on there too.. but that's not a big deal.. can't tell if it still has the smog pump or not [Confused]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Jared
¯
Member # 5405

Ya theres no smog pump on it aswell. its lying in my garage.

[ April 22, 2008, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Jared ]

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

Jared
¯
Member # 5405

quote:
quote:

that is not true
\

also does anyone know where i can verify this information?

--------------------
---------------
89'GT 5.0 5 spd

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if i sell my coupe i might buy this from you..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
harley56
¯
Member # 6731

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for harley56  Ford pictures for harley56    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

that is not true
\

also does anyone know where i can verify this information?

You can ask the DMV, but ask 3 people the same question and you may get 3 different answers. Anyway, non-op does not affect the title, as stated by others,no way does it become salvage. You need to clearly state on a receipt, bill of sale, to the buyer that they are buying a car not legal for use on California roads because it does not meet smog. Without that the new buyer can come back at you and that's not good. Don't get it smogged underground, you and place that did it can get in trouble when person goes to smog it next time around.
Posts: 89 | From: Sonoma county | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
chevyeatr
¯
Member # 7603

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chevyeatr  Ford pictures for chevyeatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pm sent

--------------------
iLliCiT FoRdS

Posts: 936 | From: caliFORDnia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :
racerx7
Member # 3370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racerx7  Ford pictures for racerx7  Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem on my customers car. I think the dealer wanted over $700 for the factory CAI.

The BBK is not CA smog legal. Joe from
Gotelli's (650)589-8618 hooked me up with a
CA smog legal CAI. I think it was K&N.

Jr50
¯
Member # 3793

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jr50  Ford pictures for Jr50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pm sent

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com