Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » battery charge @ idle???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: battery charge @ idle???
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car lights were left on for about 4 or 5 days, maybe more. So the battery of course is dead. I jumped the car and let it idle for about 10-15 min. Went out next day and battery dead. Does the car not charge unless driving it due to my FMS pullies?

Think the battery is too far gone now? About 3 years old.

[ April 09, 2008, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
Car lights were left on for about 4 or 5 days, maybe more. So the battery of course is dead. I jumped the car and let it idle for about 10-15 min. Went out next day and battery dead. Does the car not charge unless driving it due to my FMS pullies?

when you drain a batt that low you kill a cell so it will loose power just sitting get a new one

--------------------
im all outta favors fuck you pay me! jus me an ma wife!

Posts: 426 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It won't charge much at idle because the rpm isn't high enough to generate much power. Especially with those pulleys. You would need to drive it for half an hour, or plug in a charger.

Better check your battery water level though if you can. Draining the charge can also drain the water, and if the water's low you will melt the lead conductors inside if you try to charge it.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put it on a battery charger....will take forever trying to charge it with your alternator....

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just take it to auto zone or kragen tell them to charge it they will tell u when you come back to get it wont hold charge or its no good aka dead cell this has happened to me like 5 times if not more

[ April 09, 2008, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: aj5.0916 ]

--------------------
im all outta favors fuck you pay me! jus me an ma wife!

Posts: 426 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:

stock alternator won't charge for shit at idle with pulley's.

have you done the ground wire upgrade? It really helps charging on 5.0's, just go to kragen/whoever and check the battery cable area, pick up a 8" 4awg battery wire with crimped ends for 3/8" bolts, and bolt it to the swaybar bracket on one end, and a bolt on the front of the motor at the other, I used the PS bracket on my 91, and a open bolt hole on the front of the drivers side head on my 89 that doesn't have p/s or ac. Having a good ground makes it charge so much better, I really noticed a huge difference in the 91 which has a stock alt, the headlights are brighter at idle and the blinker even goes faster...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
car alternators are designed to sustain a charge in a battery, they arent capable of recharging a dead battery, thats not how theyre designed. take it to kragen, itll either come out fully charged or youll need a new one. totally draining a old battery is probably a good reason to get another one regardless so you dont get stranded somewhere. and as everyone else said, stock fox charging system does suck the balls
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:
stock fox charging system does suck the balls

+1

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the battery is 3+ years old it needs to be replaced. Batteries only last on average 3 years I do not care if they say it is a 5 year battery 3 years and replace them.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll just get another battery...I don't want to fuck up my alt. trying to charge it. I packed my battery charger already for our move so I'm not about to look for it now. I'll save the battery though,...maybe hook it up in the bed of my sons john deer dump truck. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com