Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AFR 185s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AFR 185s
VICSWS6
¯
Member # 6677

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICSWS6  Ford pictures for VICSWS6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have some AFR's heads, 165 ported to 185, trickflow stage 1 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, vaule springs, bbk headers and stock ported and polish upper and lower intake, off road h..and one chamebers,...does any one know what kinda of numbers i should be putting on the dyno???????.....stock i got 230hp to the wheels and 300 lbs of torque.... [Smile]

--------------------
CAM MEMBER
2002 WS6

electric91
¯
Member # 8303

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for electric91  Ford pictures for electric91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dump the intake. pick up a used holley at the very least to compliment those heads.
MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by electric91:
dump the intake. pick up a used holley at the very least to compliment those heads.

he needs to spin that bitch high or get some more ci... hes losing air velocity with those heads, they are on the large size for a 302....
Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first of all, u shoulda kept the 165's to 165's...... 185's is more used on a 331 or 347. ur gonna need to spin that shit to like 7k rpm to get the full gains from it, which will be hard to do on a stock 302

second of all, u do need a bigger intake and should help, but at this point the afr's are kind of a waste

good luck

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get at least an 65mm TB an some gears an 190 fuel pump the minimum, maybe 24's cause ur bringing alot air in u need the fuel to match. i would do 4.10's an have fun with it. good combo for what u have. [patriot]

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a brand new pair of 165 afr's if you want to trade... [Big Grin]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

VICSWS6
¯
Member # 6677

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICSWS6  Ford pictures for VICSWS6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
get at least an 65mm TB an some gears an 190 fuel pump the minimum, maybe 24's cause ur bringing alot air in u need the fuel to match. i would do 4.10's an have fun with it. good combo for what u have. [patriot]

yeah the heads where on a 331....gears an the fuel pump sound like a good idea. [patriot] but as for the intake i was trying to use my stock but its been open up pretty good, the reason i dont want to use a after market is cause around san jose they been getting to happy with giving people state reff..so iam trying to keep everything stock looking....do you guys think iam going to have notch the pistons..??

[ April 06, 2008, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: 408GT ]

--------------------
CAM MEMBER
2002 WS6

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the piston to valve clearance, if fly cutting is needed I would suggest swapping to 1.6 RR's instead of the 1.7's to see if that clears it out, a lot easier than fly cutting the pistons for not much difference in performance IMO, especially on a stock intake combo.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 408GT:
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:

yeah the heads where on a 331....gears an the fuel pump sound like a good idea. [patriot] but as for the intake i was trying to use my stock but its been open up pretty good, the reason i dont want to use a after market is cause around san jose they been getting to happy with giving people state reff..so iam trying to keep everything stock looking....do you guys think iam going to have notch the pistons..??
why not just go to a cobra or gt-40 tube intake?
the cobra is a stock intake on cobras. you should be able to get away with it.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would plan to do the fly cutting as there is no way around it with Your setup. You need to ditch the stock intake! Just make sure to have the carb #'s with You for the visiable mod's You have, why are You worried about Your intake if You have an off road H pipe [Confused] they will rite You up for that way before a smog legal intake. I made 280/280 rw through a AOD with 185's, systemax, and the dreaded E cam so You should hit over 300 with Your setup and a better intake.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

VICSWS6
¯
Member # 6677

cause i had state reff before on my other 5.0...to them you can only have a cobra intake on a 1993 cobra...yeah sounds dumb....but it wont pass..cause it "MODDIFIED"..the h pipe i alwase get away with cause cops are to lazy to check under the car....but if it takes changing the intake to get 300hp then fuck it im gonna do it...

--------------------
CAM MEMBER
2002 WS6

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 408GT:
the h pipe i alwase get away with cause cops are to lazy to check under the car

shit! where do u get pulled over? lucky! soon as cops hear me comin, i get lit up like a christmas tree, and first thing they do is look under my car "oh look, no cats" automatic state ref. its cool now though, i got some "cats" now [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com