Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » check engine lite wont go off...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: check engine lite wont go off...
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check engine light came on after the off road pipe. i put the cats on and its still on. i used an OBD2 scanner for the code and it wont read...something is wrong with the plug in part on the car cuz the scanner worked on my 97...i am trying to avoid the dealer...all 02 sensors are hooked up too...

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you tried unplugging the battery for 15 minutes with the headlight switch turned on?

should clear the code, unless there is a problem with the ECU/PCM.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did that but i didnt turn of the headlight...i'll try that out...i'm just concerned about the OBD2 plug in the car...why its not working...i guess its a dealer fix? It has a warranty but i dont have any paper work on it cuz i bought from a private dealer...any way to find out warranty info?

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Stangman@SM
¯
Member # 6223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangman@SM  Ford pictures for Stangman@SM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you add cats to the off road pipe? Or did you put the stock h-pipe with 4 cats back on?
If you just welded 2 cats in the off road pipe, then you will need MIL Eliminators. They run about $60.00 and should turn off the light. I have an 02 GT with a Bassani with cats and I had to use them too.
http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db|cc.dat|Exhaust

--------------------
www.sacramento-mustang.com/

Posts: 103 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can you check what codes the EEC is throwing? If you don't have a scanner, you can jumper the engine compartment connector and count the engine light flashes. The shop manual tells how to do that and there are articles online. If you get the codes we'll know for sure how to fix it.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Xplosive22
¯
Member # 8210

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xplosive22  Ford pictures for Xplosive22    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Originally he had a shop install the x-pipe with test pipes in it. The check engine light came on shortly after. Then about 3 weeks later we pulled it apart and put the bolt-on cats in in place of the test pipes. The CEL is still on.

So we ran to Autozone and rented an OBD II code reader like he said but the reader had an error connecting to the car's computer. It works on his older '97 Mustang, just not the 2007. Not sure why.

We bolted everything back up tight and screwed in the oxygen sensors. It runs fine most of the time but the light won't go away. Not even after pulling the battery for a while. Do the new models need a special handheld to read the codes? I'm about ready to by a tuner but thats a weeks worth of shipping away.

Posts: 20 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes the newer car 05 or 06 are CAN u need a CAN ready scanner

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com