Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351w block question can you make it a roller and is it hard

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351w block question can you make it a roller and is it hard
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just like the title says jus lookin for info and maybe price range

--------------------
im all outta favors fuck you pay me! jus me an ma wife!

Posts: 426 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends on the year for one. If it is an early block then you can you just have to buy a certain style lifter. If it is a later block then allyou have to do is put rollers in to it and install the spider. Yes roller lifters do cost more then flats.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by porchstang:
depends on the year for one. If it is an early block then you can you just have to buy a certain style lifter. If it is a later block then allyou have to do is put rollers in to it and install the spider. Yes roller lifters do cost more then flats.

i know they cost more but for the most part it is pretty easy

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its on ok deal but most OTS retro fit cams leave alot on the table.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:

what do you meen by that im not understanding

--------------------

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A retrofit cam uses a smaller base circle(what the lifter rides on). Less cams are design for these applications. By the time you purchase all of your custom parts you would have been better off buying a 94 and newer 351w roller block or a sportsman block. I made 620rwhp from a 94 351w block with out breaking.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by aj5.0916:
quote:

Im not trying to be a dick but I do know that your goal is a street/strip 408. To be honest, unless you have a shitload of cash, if you don't know what I mean when I say an OTS retro fit cam leaves alot on the table, (of the shelf small base circle retro cam grinds arent usually favorable and try to apply to a wide range of engine applications rather than your specific application thus not producing the power your application could, when using one) then I would hold off, do more research (as I see you are, which is great!) and try to get your hands a bit dirty, before trying to build the 408. This goes hand in hand with the discussion we had about using that moroso belt drive electric water pump on your daily driver....think about it for awhile.

Just my opinion and I know that they are like assholes....so.......

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aj5.0916:
quote:

Im not trying to be a dick but I do know that your goal is a street/strip 408. To be honest, unless you have a shitload of cash, if you don't know what I mean when I say an OTS retro fit cam leaves alot on the table, (of the shelf small base circle retro cam grinds arent usually favorable and try to apply to a wide range of engine applications rather than your specific application thus not producing the power your application could, when using one) then I would hold off, do more research (as I see you are, which is great!) and try to get your hands a bit dirty, before trying to build the 408. This goes hand in hand with the discussion we had about using that moroso belt drive electric water pump on your daily driver....think about it for awhile.

Just my opinion and I know that they are like assholes....so.......

thanks alot for the info i do appreciate it i try to get my hands dirty i have done rearends and transmission jus never tried to do much to a motor and i do plan on takin my time i plan on buildin it over a time period of like 3 or 4 years this will be my first build and i wanna get it right so thank you again and no offense taken

--------------------

porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't start building untill you have all the parts to put the bad boy together.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

quote:
Originally posted by porchstang:
Don't start building untill you have all the parts to put the bad boy together.

yup that was the plan im thinkin of havin it built at a shop

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com