Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Running ruff when cold.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Running ruff when cold.
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well as of late my car has been running really ruff when it's cold. This is not my dd so it doesnt get alot of driving time. Last saturday I started it to take it for a drive and it was idling real ruff like a fouled spark plug. So I pulled all plug's and they look great. All tune up part's have 300 miles on them since i have swaped the the intake to a tfs upper and lower. All sensors have been replaeced by one reason or another. with in the last three month's I have replaced the tps,o2 sensors egr valve and postion sensor , baro sensor, coolant temp sensor,maf and done the ten pin cleaning .As the motor warm's up it seems to smooth out and run pretty good. I have also replaced fuel pump and the injector's as well as Iac all but Iac are all ford factory part's. I thought last night it was probley my intake charge sensor since it handles fuel enrichment while vehicle is cold so I got a new one from napa and it is a plastic piece of crap butt I put it in any ways. So my question is with all that I have replaced for one reason or another is this some thing in my motor or is this electrical? I have good compression all cyl above 140 and 5 pounds within eachother and all new tune up parts including coil which is msd. Timming set at 12 btdc. Any suggestion's are welcome thank's.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need to scan codes from the computer to narrow thing's down.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have pulled codes my snap on scanner says no codes are preasent. There is a history code from a nuetral safety switch but that would not effect the wat the car is running. That is were Iam at no codes and the ruff idle while cold is there also the cel light has never came on.
Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check vaccume? stuck egr? or vaccume leak
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
jp
¯
Member # 8045

I have 14 pounds of vacum at idle and I have checked them double checked for vacum leaks. I replaced all rubber lines when doing the intake swap. I replaced the egr valve with a new ford one but I have taken it off and double checked for carbon. I have also checked every sensor for proper voltage and checked them with my ohm meter and that the signals from every sensor is making it back to the computer. Has any one had a problem with the injector wiring harnes?? Thank's for the input keep them coming maybee some can think of some thing that I have not checked yet. I have checked all the simple stuff already.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it may be the 10 pin connectors that join the injector harness to the ecu harness, I'd pop them off, clean out with electronics cleaner spray, spread the pinned connectors with a punch, coat with dielectric grease and re-connect and see how that works.

also I would suggest if you don't already have one, adding a ground from the engine block to one of the front sway bar bolts on the frame rails might be a good idea, your ground might not be strong enough?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Will try both I have done the ten pin connectors before and I will do them agian. And i will add another ground first thing tommorow and repart back.
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turbo50 did a post with a link for a idle problem caused by a netural safty swtich. I have a break out box if you need one.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com