Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wierd Noise coming near smog pump

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wierd Noise coming near smog pump
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I was driving my car yesterday, there was a noise that sounded like an exhast leak/ticking from the engine. I also had a feeling that the car may have been low on oil because I remember experiencing this noise before, but when I added oil and started the car again, the noise was still there. I popped the hood and it looks like its coming from the smog pump. What do you guys think? Did my smog pump just go out? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is power down? Does the sound go away when you give it some rpm? Is it constant or increase with rpm?
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You hear it during idle and when you're crusing. During acceleration you don't really hear it. Any suggestions to what the problem is??

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove the serp belt and spin the smog pump pully see if you hear any noise that should rule out bearing noise etc. I f no noise then keep looking good luck. btw take a good look around make sure the hose off the back of the pump is not off. Also check for leak at the header flange at the head just throwing it out there.
Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
While the serp belt is off, start the car and see if the noise is still there .

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

I took it to my friend at ford and he said it was a valve inside of the smog pump.
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Time for a smog pump delete lol.
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

well my boy got an extra smogpump so I might just get his since its cheaper than doing the delete......
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

well my boy got an extra smogpump so I might just get his since its cheaper than doing the delete......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com