Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP: Cowl hood questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP: Cowl hood questions
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xap6kov  Ford pictures for xap6kov    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to get a new hood. I want to get a 3" cowl hood but don't know which to get. Ive seen so many opinions about different company's that I'm confused which way to go.

So here are the company's I'm considering:

Cervinis - its kinda expensive and heard a few fit issues

HO Fibertrends - its a bit cheaper but heard bad stories

Maier Racing - I like that it's local and dont have to pay for shipping and mostly heard good stories, but one or two bad stories about fitments.

I really don't want to deal with fitment issues. And would like to save some money since I'm changing the whole front end.
Also what do all of you know and think about abcexlusive.com hoods?

thanks for feedback

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco/Foster City | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont know what car you have but all aftermarket hoods have fit issues. some more than others. if you want a perfect fit you well need to add material
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xap6kov  Ford pictures for xap6kov    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its for 89 LX. I had a 96 gt before and got a cervinis hood for it, didnt have any issues. But insurance paid for that hood and i didnt have to cough up $600. So im looking for something a bit cheaper.

Mostly interested in the brands listed above. Specially Miaar Racing

jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cervinis hood is a much better fit and finish than Maier Racing. I guess that is why you pay twice as much. I had a Maier hood then went with the Cervinis. Why don't you just head over to Maier and see for your self.
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got my 4" cowl hood from abc exclusive and it fit perfect for me no troubles at all
Posts: 217 | From: Vacaville, Ca | Registered: May 2006  |  :
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

quote:
Originally posted by 1Savage93:
i got my 4" cowl hood from abc exclusive and it fit perfect for me no troubles at all

Ive seen one other person say good things about ABC but Ive seen more people say bad things. Did you have a hard time aligning it?
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive gone with cervinis and the fit was good but not perfect like i would expect with a $500 hood. there were some gaps on the front where the hood meets the headlights and grill. the sides were also high compared to the fenders. this would require a bit of sanding to make perfect.
that said, ive heard good things about ho fibertrend which is the company that made the hoods for the cobra R for ford.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a friend of mine bought a 2.5 inch cowl hood from Mier racing for his 91 gt and he had some trouble with lining it up to the cowl vent area in the back, but i think it all depends on the person who is making the hood since each one is hand made right? I guess your kinda takin a gamble because each batch isnt going to be the same as the other, you know?...just my two cents.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check out carbonware.com

i purchased a 2 1/2" cowl from them and was surprised with the quality and fitment on the hood.

It also retained the hood latch and no hoods pins at all.

It came fully finished and even had the screens in the back for the vents on it.

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 3" harwood bolt on. and it fit nice with no problems. [patriot] they run some where in the 475 range + shipping.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cervinis & Harwood hand down.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com