Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help hard start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help hard start
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello brand new member to ca fords. Iam cert diesel mech and have decided to get a hobby. i bought my first mustang 1989 gt five speed 87000 orignal miles documented. bought the car from a lady that is 45 years old orignal owner for 3200 bucks bone stock every thing works even the ash tray door trusy me the good deals are out ther just wait and look. Sorry about my life story. To get to my question my mustang always crank's for a long time before starting longer than it used to. i bought it three months ago and since then have put on frpp shorty headers a/c delet frpp wires and msd cap, rotor, and coil and off road x pipe. I started doing it one week ago always starts and runs fine after starting no other drivabilty problems either. Now for what Ive done to try to fix it. I have replaced the Idle air control valve maf sensor coolant temp sensor egr valve and have checked fuel preasure. fuel preasure came in at 45 pounds at start up. It does this hot or cold does not matter. I have sprayed every vacum line and checked every vacum hose top to bottom with a vacum diagram. I have even check comp on all 8 cyl and all are with in five pounds of eachother. like I said Im a cert diesel mech but gas is not always the same I have check tps voltage it is with inspec and iam out of answers. any help would be great thank's jered.
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also forgot all the parts are oe that i replaced i have also replaced the map sensor and check for spark with a spark tester strong spark while cranking thank's agian.
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be a bad check valve in the fuel pump. how long is the crank? after you shut the car off how long does it take the fuel pressure to bleed off??

[ November 22, 2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jp
¯
Member # 8045

So i replaced the fuel pump today in hopes that it would fix my long crank. The car takes at least five seconds before it starts some times it wont start until I stop cranking and try it agian and then it will fire right up. I was pretty sure that replacing the fuel pump would not fix it because I tried to cycle the key on and off a few times before trying to start it and it never helped but it is orignal and I wanted to upgrade to a better pump for future upgrades. Before I put in the fuel pump I noticed the car is idling at 950 to 1000 rpm and if you press the gas to rev it up it takes awile before it comes down to that rpm it hangs around 1500 then slowly comes down. Also I have developed a check engine light that comes on at w.o.t.. They only thing left that I have not replaced is tfi module and throttlr postion sensor any ideas hopfully some one will come up with some thing.
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you disconnected the battery for the pump change. The ecu is going through a re-learn process takes about 50 miles and a few key cycles. You have my # call me. I have a few parts you can use to help find the problem. What was the code again???

[ November 25, 2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com