Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clutch???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clutch???
Scoobysnack
¯
Member # 6721

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scoobysnack  Ford pictures for Scoobysnack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a question....I have a 92LX Manual trans. I can shift into all gears while driving normal speeds. When I'm at high RPM's (80mph and Higher) I can't get into 5th without it grinding or having to hold the clutch in for a few seconds. Any ideas?????
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When is the last time you did the clutch? could be possible clutch adjustment? Do you have a aftermarket clutch quadrent? Also could be possible week preasure plate on the cluch or syncros.
Scoobysnack
¯
Member # 6721

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scoobysnack  Ford pictures for Scoobysnack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought the car a few months ago. As far as I know the clutch has not been changed in awhile. I have changed the clutch cable twice because they both snapped. It's only hard to shift while accelerating fast [Wink]
jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Two clutch cabels seems like you have binding beetween the clutch pedal and the fork. Were is the cable breaking or fraying at the fire wall or down at the fork? Is your clutch pedal hard to press? Also checked your trans fluid lately possibley low of fluid? just a couple of ideas.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You've definitely got an issue with the clutch fork/TO bearing/Pressure plate. Pressure plate isn't fully releasing, causing you to attempt to press the clutch pedal harder, hense breaking clutch cables. You may want to consider a new clutch/pressure plate if this is a continuing problem.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Scoobysnack
¯
Member # 6721

I don't know why the first clutch cable broke but the second one I had on two tight. I guess I'll change everything out and hope that helps.
jp
¯
Member # 8045

How did you get the second cable to tight? Unless you have a adjustable quad and as long as you route it correctly it should of not been to tight. I would get a good clutch and preasure plate if you are going to replace every thing and replace the to bearing all wich should come in a clutch kit. I have found that using an o.e. cable work's best if you are using a stock cable set up they seem to operate much smoother than after market cables. Good luck and don't forget to replace or have your fly wheel machined when doing so.
Scoobysnack
¯
Member # 6721

it was shorter then the orig and I didn't check it before hand. I switched to ans adjustable and it hasn't broke yet [Smile]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com