Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 lug conversion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 lug conversion
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xap6kov  Ford pictures for xap6kov    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are the advantages of 5 lug conversion for fox body. I would imagine that the hardware is from a 94 and up mustang, so what size rotors are on those cars? Besides the rear disc break, are there any more good features on that conversion. Are cobra breaks bigger then regular gt breaks for 94 and up and would cobra breaks fit on that conversion with out much mod's (or other big break kits that are not too expensive) Is there even a point to put cobra breaks on the conversion in the future? Would it make more sense to put discs in the rear and keep the 4 lug setup.

Thanks for reading

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco/Foster City | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i woudl do a search on the corral in the wheel forum. there is a member on there matt90gt that has a really nice page w/ all the info u need for the various 5 lug conversions. also luke87gt on here ha some good info on his website: mustangmotorsport.com

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also check out www.sn95brakes.com

in the front you just need 94/95 spindles/hubs, then you can get cobra calipers and rotors and they bolt on up front.

in the rear you need 5 lug axles, caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, pads, anti-moan braces, brake hoses, and brake line adapters (or cut/re-flare your existing line).

You also need a disc brake master cylinder, and a better brake booster, all of that is discussed at the sites above.

my 89 notch with 5 lug cobra brakes has amazing stopping power that doesn't ever fade.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xap6kov  Ford pictures for xap6kov    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

in the front you just need 94/95 spindles/hubs, then you can get cobra calipers and rotors and they bolt on up front.

in the rear you need 5 lug axles, caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, pads, anti-moan braces, brake hoses, and brake line adapters (or cut/re-flare your existing line).

You also need a disc brake master cylinder, and a better brake booster, all of that is discussed at the sites above.

my 89 notch with 5 lug cobra brakes has amazing stopping power that doesn't ever fade.

How much did the whole setup cost you? Where the parts hard to find? I dont realy understand the whole spindle mix up. If I use 17 x 8.5 rims do i need sn95 spindles or no?

Thanks any help

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xap6kov:
quote:

How much did the whole setup cost you? Where the parts hard to find? I dont realy understand the whole spindle mix up. If I use 17 x 8.5 rims do i need sn95 spindles or no?

Thanks any help

without the spindles you can't put sn95 brakes on the car, they're what the brakes bolt to.

I put about $1200 into my brakes, and another $700 into the wheels and tires, roughly.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for xap6kov  Ford pictures for xap6kov    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can someone tell me what size rims would i be able to fir once I do a 5 lug conversion. i will most likely get 18" just because i will do a cobra breaks conversion later on, or will 17"s do just fine? I want my car really low with out the rub

So i need to know what size rims (width) in relation to 18x9 or 18x10 and what offset will i need (24mm or 34mm) and what backspacing. And is it ok to go staggered with 18x10 in the back. Shit im having a hard time understanding what offset is and how it effects the car and the looks)

I want to get the widest possible rims in the back so i can have a nice wide lip but i don't want it to rub. My car is already low (steeda springs cut 1.5 coils)

Thanks again for any info
Im new to the mustang mod world, even tho this my 3rd stang. Im sure you guy will see allot of me here with stupid questions.

Thanks again

[ November 08, 2007, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: xap6kov ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

if you get the axles and rear brake brackets from www.northracecars.com you can fit any wheel meant for a 94-04 mustang, so you won't need to worry about offset.

the only thing to worry about is wheel/tire width after that.

with ford 'b' springs, and 17x9 bullitt knock-offs with a 275/40R17 Nitto 555 tires on the back, I had to roll my outside fender lips because they would have rubbed.

Any bigger and you'll need to do something about the quad shocks (flip them and remove them) and maybe pound on the inner fender with a big hammer.

-
 -
 -

[ November 08, 2007, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

quote:
if you get the axles and rear brake brackets from www.northracecars.com you can fit any wheel meant for a 94-04 mustang, so you won't need to worry about offset.

with ford 'b' springs, and 17x9 bullitt knock-offs with a 275/40R17 Nitto 555 tires on the back, I had to roll my outside fender lips because they would have rubbed.

Any bigger and you'll need to do something about the quad shocks (flip them and remove them) and maybe pound on the inner fender with a big hammer.

If i get the full 5 lug conversion do i still need to get the axles from this place or will the stock sn95 axles work.
And also if the offset is 24mm compared to 34mm wont that make the wheel stick out more and more chance to rub. Also like i said I want a realy fat lip on the back rims, so if i get the smalled offset will that rim have bigger lip?
I dont mind rolling the fenders, and 275 is good width for me so i dont need to go any bigger.

Also you have 17" on your car. Will 18" work on this body or should i stick with 17"

Thanks

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
quote:

If i get the full 5 lug conversion do i still need to get the axles from this place or will the stock sn95 axles work.
And also if the offset is 24mm compared to 34mm wont that make the wheel stick out more and more chance to rub. Also like i said I want a realy fat lip on the back rims, so if i get the smalled offset will that rim have bigger lip?
I dont mind rolling the fenders, and 275 is good width for me so i dont need to go any bigger.

Also you have 17" on your car. Will 18" work on this body or should i stick with 17"

Thanks

SN95 axles are 1/2" wider per side, so you would have to roll the fenders to run even 245's, definitely couldn't run anything bigger.

I don't understand how the offset works, I never had to bother with that because I went with a foxbody length axle setup so stock offset 94-04 wheels work perfect.

I wouldn't go with 18's because you'd have to run really thin tires and the ride quality would be really crappy.

But you could probably fit 285/35R18's in the rear using a 10" wide wheel.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

So to understand it right. The stock sn95 axles are longer then the ones from that website www.northracecars.com and there for wont allow winder rim in the back. Once i get the axles from the above site then it should be ok. And when i do get the axle from the above site I have to get the caliper bracket?

Thanks for all your help,

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
So to understand it right. The stock sn95 axles are longer then the ones from that website www.northracecars.com and there for wont allow winder rim in the back. Once i get the axles from the above site then it should be ok. And when i do get the axle from the above site I have to get the caliper bracket?

Thanks for all your help,

yep that's right, with their axles and brackets you will retain fox length and can use any rims made for a 94-04 mustang, within reason.

up front is harder to run big tires, my stock `04 gt bullitt's (17x8) with 245/45R17's rub occasionally...I really want 275/40's all around but I don't think that will happen without larger fenders and no fender liners.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ranger axles with the north race set works too. 295/35/18 18x10 rim. pretty much same as sn95 run. but would run 285/35 just for added clearance.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
xap6kov
¯
Member # 7985

quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
ranger axles with the north race set works too. 295/35/18 18x10 rim. pretty much same as sn95 run. but would run 285/35 just for added clearance.

What do you mean by saying ranger axles with the north race set. Set of what? I figured out that rangers are same as sn95 axles but shorter. What other set would i need?

Thanks

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:

as I understand it you need 2 PASSENGER side ranger axles and the drums work too, am I correct???
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

you could use ranger axles instead of ordering the axles from north race cars, but you'll need to get lucky in the junkyard, and in my experience, every used axle that I've pulled out and rolled on the ground have wobbled/not been straight. I went with the brand new axles from northracecars.com for peace of mind.

and yes you could use ranger axles and drums and have 5 lug in the back, but why go through all of that trouble and not put disc's in the rear?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com