Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351 Question's

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351 Question's
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is needed to do the swap? can my computer work on it? i got a rpm2 intake on my 302 will that bolt on to the 351? also i got a tko tranny will that bolt right onto it? yes i know that is alot of question, but the 351 is something new to me [Big Grin] ...

[ October 27, 2007, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Pure Stang ]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my rpm2 will not work, only my upper would but i have to buy the edelbrock 351 lower then port the lower to match my upper. 351 is also a 28oz balance... the spider intake seems cool but might be alittle over kill for what i want to do. and trickflow has a intake for the 351, but i dont like trickflow. it will be nice winter project [Big Grin] ...

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stick with 302 based engines.....

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
Originally posted by itznotahighway:
stick with 302 based engines.....

may i ask y? a H/C/I 351 cost the same as a 302 H/C/I and you will make more power out of the 351... i was reading up on swaps and it does not seem that hard..... please explain why stick with 302?

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sure one of the guys running a 351 will chime in but your computer will work, the trans will work but you need to get a flywheel with the correct balance, change headers, have a cowl hood to clear the taller motor.... quite a few things but nothing that you cant overcome. If you wanted to swap a 351C, 390-428 , 429-460 or any GM motor then I'd say dont do it but with a 351W go for it.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why do you have to change headers? If you have enough room for clearancs they would work. I think some companies offer drop motor mounts so you might get lucky with the hood.

[ October 27, 2007, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

i got a aluminum fly that can be set to 28oz 0r 50oz.. i already got a cowl hood... and it will be a 351w roller

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the headers will physically bolt up but I dont think they drop down far enough to connect to the H pipe correctly.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need swap headers, unless you have a tube frame and want to fab your own exhaust.
87#184saleen
¯
Member # 6276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87#184saleen  Ford pictures for 87#184saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 351w victor jr efi upper and lower
lmk ill sell it to you cheap

--------------------
R.I.P DAD 3/5/36 - 6/2/07
2004 PORSCHE CAYENNE S on 22”
2013 PORSCHE Panamera on 21”
1987 SALEEN #184
Member of R H P

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

pm sent [patriot] ... what happpen to my 351 guys?

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

mnstruc
¯
Member # 5652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnstruc  Ford pictures for mnstruc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 351w motor has taller heads due to the deck height and a wider intake spread , which is why your 302 lower intake will not work. It is also why your 302, 5.0L headers will not work. They simply will not line up to your H-pipe due to the angle differences. You mention you will be using a roller 351w? Not sure what year that motor is, however, most 351W's I am familiar with are non roller, 28 oz imbalance motors. If you do have a roller block, then it will most likely be a 50 oz imbalance. Which ever way you go, just make sure you have the flywheel and damper the same imbalance for that particular crank. Don't mix and match, and don't put a 50 oz on a 28 oz crank, or visa versa. Do the research and get it right.

--------------------
63 Fairlane 500
65 GT-1 Mustang Race Car
67 Mustang A code Coupe
68 Ranchero GT
72 Bronco Sport
03 Mustang GT
07 F-350 4x4 Dually Diesel

Posts: 95 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do the 351w swap you won't be sorry. and make sure you have a pan that will fit a fox. if you don't have a after market pan use 1 out of a 79 ltd. it should work fine it did for me. as for the headers i used the mac 351 shorty header and it lines right up with my x-pipe. as for a intake you can always steal one off a late 80's early 90's f150. or just take the bottom intake and run a after market box upper. any way you slice it, there is no substitute for pure cubic inches!

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

thanks guys... i just got a engine stand so i can start on this project. what kind of cam would be good for this engine? im going with afr 185's heads as for intake most likely i'm going with the edelbrock... also what size injectors? would 30's be ok or are they going to couse it to go lean? thanks again guys [patriot]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My switch to a 351 was the best thing I ever did for the car. Much more torque than a similar 302 and a lot more fun, ie burnouts. You will need:

351 distributor - go to a partshouse with your 5.0 dist as a core and exchange it for a truck 351 dist, then get the cast iron gear changed for a steel gear for the hydraulic roller cam, (dirty, I know, but effective)

351 pan, your 302 pan will fit in front (timing case is the same as 302), but rear main is larger

Swap headers, I now have long tubes, but shorties were fine

Cut and extend the crossovers on the fuel rails with FI rubber hose and good clamps

Cut and extend the EGR crossover on the back of the heads

Get a 351 compatible lower intake

Run a box or short runner intake, other wise the rpm range is very narrow, see Richard Holdener's Dyno book to see the graphs of a 351 with a ported Cobra vs. a box. 5100 rpm peak hp with the long runner or 6100 rpm hp with the box, you make the call

351 swap accessory brackets, I believe that Ford still offers with or without AC

28oz imbalance flywheel and damper

I think that's it. I had a combo as follows:

351 FR roller shortblock, 9.0-1 (uggh)
GT-40X heads, bowl work and exhaust ports matched to headers(roofs raised) stock GT-40 valve sizes
F303 roller with 1.6 rr's
out of the box 351 Ford Racing lower intake
Downs Box upper
75mm R-series Tb, R-series has a 90mm opening
AFM power pipe
Stock 93 Cobra computer with 24lb injectors and 70mm mass air
Shortie headers, off road Bassani X and Borla catback

This was a very mild combo, but made some killer torque compared to my friends 10.5-1 331 stroker. I ran this motor with 3.73s and 225-50 street tires to a 13.3 @109. Bad et, but it was making power. With a larger MAF and longtubes, plus a tune and tires, I think this would have been a low 12's car.Now I have torn the whole car apart and it will run again with about 200 more hp, my budget has changed since college.

Just my experience with a 351.

porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
PM me with what you want and I can you give you my recomendations.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

that was a nice write up.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/351_nut_bolt.html try this

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
LS1EATR
¯
Member # 2702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LS1EATR  Ford pictures for LS1EATR  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
best results would be a 331 or a 347 stroker.. less problems I heard with a 351 you would have problems.. [patriot]

--------------------
"IF U CAN SEE MY TAIL LIGHTS
U MUST BE DRIVING A "CHEVY"
NORCALSVTOA
A.E.D
98 Cobra BAB SOLD

Posts: 1193 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LS1EATR:
best results would be a 331 or a 347 stroker.. less problems I heard with a 351 you would have problems.. [patriot]

no, just no.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That alternative auto link is the end-all answer for anyone doing a 351 swap. Lot's of stuff that too many beer sessions dulled from the memory.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com