Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car won't start need a favor.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car won't start need a favor.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car won't start and I've done some trouble shooting. I think it might be the computer and I want to hook up a known-to-be-good-computer just for grins. If somebody has an A9L sitting around that I could borrow for a day let me know.
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got an A3M that you can borrow. Let me know. TTT

--------------------
*NorCal

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be your tfi.
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
could be your tfi.

Yeah it could be. I'm checking all the basics now. Checked compression last night, it was fine. The plugs were wet and smelled of gas when I pulled them out so I know it's getting fuel. The car ran fine last time I shut it off so that kind of rules out damaged internals. I'm going to reset the timing today and do a thorough check of spark.
The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The_MuffinMan25  Ford pictures for The_MuffinMan25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How Long has it been sitting?
Posts: 130 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

quote:
Originally posted by The_MuffinMan25:
How Long has it been sitting?

5 days. It ran fine before. The only thing wrong with the car before was that the computer wasn't seeing the O2 sensors which caused some slight hesitation at part throttle.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
could be your tfi.

Yeah it could be. I'm checking all the basics now. Checked compression last night, it was fine. The plugs were wet and smelled of gas when I pulled them out so I know it's getting fuel. The car ran fine last time I shut it off so that kind of rules out damaged internals. I'm going to reset the timing today and do a thorough check of spark.
If the plugs are wet then it could be running rich. Try starting it with the gas pedel all the way to the floor.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Tried that. I've determined it's weak spark. Apparently my roommate doesn't know the difference between good spark and weak spark. I was under the impression it had good spark the whole time until I checked the spark myself. The coil wire only puts out a piddly little orange/yellow spark when arced to the block.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Update: My MSD distributor took a crap. Plopped a stocker in there and it runs like a champ.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com