Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What H/C/I set-up?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What H/C/I set-up?
svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt3773  Ford pictures for svt3773    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Want to know what you guys would recomend on my 86 gt since i cant just slap anything on cause of valve clearance since i want to sill keep my stock bottom end.

thanks in advanced

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very good question that I dont have FIRST hand knowledge of an answer for.

I can say that I have seen most guys in your boat have to jig up a fly cutter which, if done right, works very well and is actually not too bad to set up.

then you can go with whatever your combo called for in respect to valve/chamber sizing.

I would wonder if you could get away with some 1.90 valve and 1.60 heads tho..

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are going into it that far,why not just change out the shortblock save the hassle and have a way better array of options!
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
If you are going into it that far,why not just change out the shortblock save the hassle and have a way better array of options!

I agree.

Sell your whole 86 motor as a runner.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a $100-400 stock 87-93 shortblock and slap on the tfs street kit.

Easy, complete, no none sense, and should put you right at 300rwhp...

If you ever want more, slap on a vortech s and lay down 450+

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
afr's 165 heads, if you got the $$$ get a custom cam, and either the holly or edelbrock rpm 2 intake manifold... and you will be ready to go [burnout]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would run the TFS heads, slightly better than the AFR 165's, slightly cheaper too.

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt3773  Ford pictures for svt3773    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i know i can do all that but as i said i want to keep my stock block and heard i can put some type of heads and cam com. for that block.

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

svt3773
¯
Member # 4759

ttt?

--------------------
1989 Ford Ranger

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its a 87 up block then Trick Flow heads will be fine.

The twisted valve layout will clear the stock pistons.

Im not sure what lift you can have max but the stage 1 cam has .510 lift and they say it will clear.

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
HCI RACING
Member # 8009

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HCI RACING  Ford pictures for HCI RACING  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A cheap approach would be to just notch the pistons in the block, HOWEVER I DON'T RECOMMEND GOING THAT ROUTE. Im just saying it is doable, for a (band-aid) fix.
Keeping the stock bottom end puts a limit on options, if u notch the pistons u will loose the integrity of the piston crown and loose some compression. Plus u always risk getting debris into the motor itself and personally that risk is not worth taking. AFR heads are ideal with the wedge chambers, but that depends on ur budget.
Depending on how much piston to valve clearance u need, there is always the custom set of head gaskets made going as much as .060" thick with SLE or Cometics. Hit me up at the shop if I can help u at all.
Travis
916-643-2039
916-643-2291
p.s. sorry im just trying to help not solicit business.

--------------------
THANK YOU,
HCI RACING

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Get a $100-400 stock 87-93 shortblock and slap on the tfs street kit.

Easy, complete, no none sense, and should put you right at 300rwhp...

If you ever want more, slap on a vortech s and lay down 450+

Trick Flow Street package [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the trickflow kit does not convince me.. not to many people are hitting that 300 mark its more like 275-285... i know alot of people that have the kit and got mad because they didnt hit the 300 mark... mix up the parts then you will see a better result. afr,edel,confield,holly... trickflow is one of the last on my list. dont know why it just is..

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TFS heads, TFS 1 cam, Performer Intake

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueLightning302:
I would run the TFS heads, slightly better than the AFR 165's, slightly cheaper too.

slightly cheaper yes, better, no

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com