Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cooling problem..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cooling problem..
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so my car heats up if im doing any sort of driving all the way to one notch under the red...cant remember the temp that it is. if I am idling its fine and if im barely cruising on the freeway its fine, but in traffic it gets really hot. I have a black magic electric fan that turns on and stays on...the thermostat only has about 6000 miles on it could that be what the problem is?

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it stock or aluminum radiator? If it's stock it might be clogged.... [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its stock but pretty new

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

anybody? i put water wetter in also and runs real hot and i need to know asap im leaving in the morning for a 7 hour drive

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

VICSWS6
¯
Member # 6677

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VICSWS6  Ford pictures for VICSWS6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its probley your cluth fan...

--------------------
CAM MEMBER
2002 WS6

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PLaTNum:
its probley your cluth fan...

No clutch fan on a black magic. You sure that the fan is turning the rite direction "pulling the air through the radiator?". I'm sure You changed Your thermastat rite? Is Your fan guard snuged up to the radiator? You will probably ruin Your engine if You drive it through traffic on easter weekend. Hope You figure it out.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OneBadHatch:
so my car heats up if im doing any sort of driving all the way to one notch under the red...cant remember the temp that it is. if I am idling its fine and if im barely cruising on the freeway its fine, but in traffic it gets really hot. I have a black magic electric fan that turns on and stays on...the thermostat only has about 6000 miles on it could that be what the problem is?

The thermastat is the cheapest and probably the easiest fix so it can't hurt to chage it out. If the water wetter did'nt help then You are getting restricted water flow at best. Could be the water pump also. If You take the cap off then start it up then when it reaches operating temperature You should see the water runnin through Your radiator. If it;s Your thermastat then Your upper radiator hose will be hard as a rock and no water flowing through the radiator.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you change your radiator recently? If so, did you burp the system to get all the air out? I would try and flush out the system 1st. Also, you can try running a 180 degree thermostat (if you aren't already).

Is your wate pump working ok?

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Did you change your radiator recently? If so, did you burp the system to get all the air out? I would try and flush out the system 1st. Also, you can try running a 180 degree thermostat (if you aren't already).

Is your wate pump working ok?

You really wanna check this. i replaced my rad and forgot to burp the system and almost got stranded having to put more water in. its easy to do and very important

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

lxlaw
¯
Member # 7547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxlaw  Ford pictures for lxlaw    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black magic fans SUCK!! I run the dual spals on my setups, and never have any problems. Usually, if you are having cooling problems at idle it is airflow, if you are having cooling problems driving down the freeway it is radiator/waterflow related. Again that is usually. It gives you a place to start. Also make sure you have enough alternator to run that fan, and NO A STOCK FOX BODY ONE IS NOT ENOUGH!!!
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

yea i dont have the fox i upgraded to the sn95 alternator, it has no trouble at idle or on the freeway at speed its when im like driving around town, stop and go when it gets warm...
i changed the thermostat to 160 and put a new radiator cap and burped the system, it helped but its still sitting a little above the halfway mark...it doesnt get as hot as it did but its still running hotter than i would like it to, the water pump seems to be working fine, its not leaking from the weep hole, other than that i dont really know how to tell if its good or bad

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OneBadHatch:
yea i dont have the fox i upgraded to the sn95 alternator, it has no trouble at idle or on the freeway at speed its when im like driving around town, stop and go when it gets warm...
i changed the thermostat to 160 and put a new radiator cap and burped the system, it helped but its still sitting a little above the halfway mark...it doesnt get as hot as it did but its still running hotter than i would like it to, the water pump seems to be working fine, its not leaking from the weep hole, other than that i dont really know how to tell if its good or bad

Personally I would not run a 160 thermostat. I would run a 180.

What temp is your fan coming on at? dunno much about the black magic setup but Rampcharers dual fans are good. One of the best electric fan is the lincon setup.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

well i didnt want to get stranded so i just went with a 160 cause it still runs hot but that solved the problem till i find the real problem

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bypass the a/c relay and just run a straight on/off switch for the fan. [patriot]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

i have a manual switch haha and no ac [patriot]

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com