Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » compression test question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: compression test question
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will taking a compression reading with the intake manifold off (stock 91 5.0) cause any false readings?

I have honestly never done a compression test without an intake on an engine.

This is cranking compression.

I was getting 140-145 in all cylinders but 5,6,7.

Found blown head gasket and want to slam it back together with a new gasket.

The block and head decks look good and check out good with a straight edge BUT just in case I want to do a compression test after I put the head back on, before I button the rest of the engine back up (install intake, headers etc).

Any input will be appreciated.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
whitelx50
Member # 6512

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx50  Ford pictures for whitelx50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
having the intake manifold off will not cause false readings because the intake and exaust valve will be closed.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks.

I only ask because in the manual it states to have the butterfly open if carbed and the throttle plate open if EFI. So I was thinking that maybe no intake at all would/will cause some weird readings but it makes entire sense that it wouldnt.

Thanks, again.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by whitelx50:
having the intake manifold off will not cause false readings because the intake and exaust valve will be closed.

but you have to turn the engine over to do a compression test right [Confused]

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66backinblack:
quote:
Originally posted by whitelx50:

but you have to turn the engine over to do a compression test right [Confused]
Whats that got to do with having the intake on/off [Confused]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
becuase if you turn the engine over the valves are gonna open

--------------------

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66backinblack:
becuase if you turn the engine over the valves are gonna open

haha yeah no shit. The compression tester gauge holds the highest reading.
You might be thinking of a leakdown test. In which case you have to make sure the valves are closed.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

no i was just responding to the other post where the guy said the valves were gonna always be closed. ive done many a compression test on the stang

--------------------

lxlaw
¯
Member # 7547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxlaw  Ford pictures for lxlaw    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by court:
Will taking a compression reading with the intake manifold off (stock 91 5.0) cause any false readings?

I have honestly never done a compression test without an intake on an engine.

This is cranking compression.

I was getting 140-145 in all cylinders but 5,6,7.

Found blown head gasket and want to slam it back together with a new gasket.

The block and head decks look good and check out good with a straight edge BUT just in case I want to do a compression test after I put the head back on, before I button the rest of the engine back up (install intake, headers etc).

Any input will be appreciated.

no it will be fine

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com