Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 lug Conversion Cobra Brakes question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 lug Conversion Cobra Brakes question
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93StockRedGT  Ford pictures for 93StockRedGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, I am using Cobra Calipers from an 03 Cobra. They are going on a 93 GT.

- My first question is do I need 96-up spindles or can I use the SN95 spindles?
- If I use the 96+, how far will the wheel stick out and is it enough to bother me?
- Do the spindles/hubs need an ABS Sensor or not?
- Is it worth the extra $100 for stainless steel brake lines? If so, can I just order them for any of the Cobras, 94-04?
- Do I need a brake line adapter for the lines?
- Do I have to use Cobra calipers/brakes in the back or can I use GT calipers? Are they the same?
- Do I need a new bracket in the rear of my 93 or will the new calipers bolt up?

Last question. What else should I change while I'm doing this? Shocks/struts/springs, etc?

This is my first big project so I wanna be sure. I have a feeling I may be redirected to a write-up and if so, I apologize for wasting your time.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://svo73mm.cjb.net should cover most of your questions.

but for a couple of the quickies, you want 1994 or 1995 spindles/hubs, the `96+ sn95 spindles will jack everything up.

cobra rear and gt rear calipers are the same, only the pads, brackets, and rotors are different.

you will need new caliper brackets for the rear, check www.northracecars.com for a good set that will let you use foxbody length 5 lug axles with the cobra vented caliper rear brakes.

I would personally also change the struts/shocks and springs at the same time if they haven't been done already.

It also would be a good opportunity to replace the front control arms with some new ford units, which would come with new balljoints and bushings and they're pretty cheap, check pricing at www.maximummotorsports.com or summitracing.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm doing the same conversion as you right now. A couple of really helpful sites are mustangmotorsport (he is a member here)and sn95brakes.com. What rims are you using? I agree with blind you should change out your shocks/springs if they are old, everything will be apart anyways. If you have the money take a look at maximum motorsports coil over kit. If your planning on upping the HP I would also convert to a 31 spline rear end. Get the new front control arms, I got mine from gefracing for $175. You might also consider getting all new bushings in the front depending on their condition. A decent set of control arms in the back wouldn't hurt either. Get ready to spend a good chunk of change! A lot of the stuff I mentioned isn't neccessary but I figure if your already in there you might as well do it right.

[ October 14, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: SF Coupe ]

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 96 and up spindles are trash. Stay away from them on a Fox because they stick the wheels out too far. And you should definitely use braided stainless lines on the front if you are driving it hard because the heat from the calipers can swell the stock lines with repeated hard stops. Maximum Motorsports makes a nice kit for this all-so-popular swap. You can also be real cheap and just do the Cobra front brakes and change nothing else, i.e. the master cylinder and rear drums. I did this swap for a customer that wanted 18" Roush wheels on his fox, and while it looked kinda weird with drums in back and the big Cobra stuff up front, it stopped really well.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, first of all. 96+ spindles are not trash. Especially if you have a fox that you want to Auto-X or Open Track. The Extra 3/4" of track width it gives the nose makes the car stick corners a ton better. Yes, you have to do some drastic fender rolling, but small price to gain better cornering. If you are doing a swap for regular street or drag you need the 95 spindles. But you can use the 96+ front hubs with them.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How can you say that 96 spindles are trash when nobody even mentioned what rims are going to be used?

I wish I had 96+ spindles! I would not have to use spacers with my 6.42"BS 17x9 R's. Not to mention I wouldn't need a bump steer kit.

To accurately answer your questions we need to know what rims (and backspacing) you plan on using

[ October 19, 2006, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
How can you say that 96 spindles are trash when nobody even mentioned what rims are going to be used?

I wish I had 96+ spindles! I would not have to use spacers with my 6.42"BS 17x9 R's. Not to mention I wouldn't need a bump steer kit.

Yo accurately answer your questions we need to know what rims (and backspacing) you plan on using

Exactly. Alot of the geometry problems were corrected for the 96+ spindles.

[ October 19, 2006, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93StockRedGT  Ford pictures for 93StockRedGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My wheels will more than likely be 17x8 or 17x9 Bullitt wheels.

what spindle is best?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com