Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Starter question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starter question?
P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P1mp1n  Ford pictures for P1mp1n    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Still trying to solve this problem with this 89 im interested in purchasing, the car has a new starter and wiring in it, but the clicking noise I had earlier thought that was coming from the sylenoid is actually coming from the starter, when you turn the key it makes that annoying clicking noise. Does this mean its a bad starter, its new and worked in the beggining but now doesnt, any suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

also what I noticed on my starter on my 93 there is two connections that both run to the sylenoid, this one only has 1, is this common on some starters?

Scott

Posts: 887 | From: Burlingame | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
an 89 stock comes with the old style larger starters. This has 1 8awg switched power wire coming from the fender mounted solenoid directly to the starter motor.

the 93 stock comes with the high-torque mini style, which has a solenoid on it, so it has a 8awg constant power wire, and a 12awg switched power wire coming from the fender solenoid.

if it's the old style starter and it is making a clicking noise, and not the fender mounted solenoid, then the power wire on the starter might be loose, the starter might not be bolted firmly in (so it isn't grounded well) or the engine might have a blown headgasket and coolant is sitting in a cylinder causing hydrolock so the starter can't spin.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com