Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Is it time for new shocks/struts?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it time for new shocks/struts?
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93StockRedGT  Ford pictures for 93StockRedGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's my question...I have a 93 GT with cobra rims...the rear tires are 275/45/17 nitto drag radials.

When I have people in the backseat, you can hear and feel the tires making contact with the wheelwells. Like the car is bottoming out onto the tires.

What is the problem? My car is not lowered and I think it might be time to replace my shocks/struts/springs, etc?

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your wheels/tires are too big

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles on your car? I don't know if the tires are too big, they could be, I just don't know anything about that combo with your car. But why not just put a few peeps in the back of your car and look at how it sits? If its squatting too much then your suspension need to be replaced. Just a simple visual will give you an idea if its tires, suspension or both.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93StockRedGT  Ford pictures for 93StockRedGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car shows the mileage at 17,500 with the odometer rolled once (so 117,500).

I have no rubbing issues with no one in the back seat as far as the rears and I'm pretty sure there are others running this tire size in the rear.

With someone in the backseat, the car rides real low and you can feel the tire making contact with the wheelwells.

93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

wheels are 17x9 by the way
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have the rear shocks ever been replaced? it might be time for some new ones.
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

I really doubt they have...I'm looking into some KYBs...are these worth it?

Also if I get new shocks...I'm leaning towards doing the struts also...if I do the struts I might as well lower the car.

Damn this one problem is gonna lead to lots of mods!

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stay away from KYBs, they suck. I know from personal experience.
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you need to shocks/struts. Those old ones sound like they are worn out. KYB's aren't too bad the agx's aren't bad they offer adjustability and the price is decent.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your tires are too big, you need to roll your rear fenders to make it so the tires do nut rub when the suspension compresses.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

I'm getting different answers on if my tires are too big or its time to change the suspension.

Can anyone settle this? I could have sworn there were Fox people running 275s in the rear w/o rolling the fenders.

Someone set me straight [Confused]

Rob

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93StockRedGT:
I'm getting different answers on if my tires are too big or its time to change the suspension.

Can anyone settle this? I could have sworn there were Fox people running 275s in the rear w/o rolling the fenders.

Someone set me straight [Confused]

Rob

It depend's on Your rim size and backspacing. I am running a 15X10 inch rim with 6.5 inch backspacing with a M/T 275 60 15's "which is a 26 inch tall tire" and the only thing I had to do was get rid of My tail pipes. Now with a 8X15 inch rim You are going to need a 5.5 inch backspacing. Also if You went with a 275 50 16 "which is the 28 inch tall tire" You are going to have problem's. Also I think it could be a ittle different from car to car?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With a 275 tire in the back you need to run a 40 series tire not a 45.

An easy way to test your shocks is to push the back of the trunk/hatch up and down a few times, once you let go the movemnet should stop right away, if it doesn't that will indicate that your shocks are bad.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

What is the effect that the 45 series would have as opposed to the 40 series?
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
40 series as compared to 45 will be a slightly lower side wall/height of tire...

ie: 295/35/18 (my set up..... the 35 means the sidewall/tire height from rim up is 35% of the width of my tire. In english cuz this confused me, or how i was expained it, if ur tire is 10" wide, and u have a.. 40 series tire ur tire would have a 4" side wall, 35 would be a 3 1/2" side wall,

this is how i was explained, if im wrong my apologies.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Hey I checked my rear tires and they are 275/40R17. So it appears I'm running the right size tire.

So what gives?

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does the outside edge of your tire have chunks of rubber missing?

Is the inside lip at the top of your rear fenders bent a bit from the tires hitting it?

with 275's you need to roll your fender lips or they will hit at full suspension compression.

the rear spring rate on a stock 5.0 is very low, and the car will ride low and bottom out with 2 people in the backseat, brand new shocks or not.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Would a new set of springs (i.e. Eibach) fix this problem?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 93StockRedGT:
Would a new set of springs (i.e. Eibach) fix this problem?

eibach's are lower than stock and not a very high spring rate either, they would just make the problem worse.

my solution would be to take the back seat and seatbelts out and tell your friends to walk.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

93StockRedGT
¯
Member # 6211

Thats a cute little answer [Razz]

Would changing to a 255/40 or 245/40 fix the problem so I can lower the car and not have this problem?

Rob

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rob, for fucks sake, we are giving you ideas but only YOU can tell us what is wrong. Get under the car, weigh it down with a couple of friends, have a couple more push down on the hatch, inspect the tires, go around the inside edge of the tire with your hand and see where your wheels come close to contacting other parts of your suspension/body, etc.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

Is the inside lip at the top of your rear fenders bent a bit from the tires hitting it?

with 275's you need to roll your fender lips or they will hit at full suspension compression.

the rear spring rate on a stock 5.0 is very low, and the car will ride low and bottom out with 2 people in the backseat, brand new shocks or not.

Sorry for disrupting this post but,when i bought my rims and tires from a friend i noticed that the outside the edge of my back tire and front on drivers side had chunks missing and peeling. what does this mean?

[ September 05, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: exchp6400 ]

--------------------
87 Buick Turbo T | 90 GT | 93 Typhoon

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by exchp6400:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

Sorry for disrupting this post but,when i bought my rims and tires from a friend i noticed that the outside the edge of my back tire and front on drivers side had chunks missing and peeling. what does this mean?
could mean those were the rears on his car and had clearence issues not rolling fenders where needed, or that you yourself have clearence issues and need to check your back spacings, or roll fenders, etc etc. Just options

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com