Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Why is my window slow?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Why is my window slow?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For as long as I can remember, the passenger window on my 93 Cobra is very sluggish when rolling up and down. I assumed it was the motor, so I replaced it, but that didn't make any difference.

Who knows how windows work? Is there something in there that needs to be greased up or adjusted?

Driver side window works fine, always has. It's my basis for comparison.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you replace it with? Another used one? If so they are hit or miss. You may just get another used motor that is tired too. I put some extra grease on the motor gears when I replaced mine with another set of used motors and my windows roll up and down almost as fast as a new car.

Don't know if there is a slider you can grease up though..

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, it was a used motor. Thanks for the advice Jdub, I'll try some grease and see if that helps.

--------------------

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's funny because I have the exact same problem with my 91. The passenger side has been slow for almost 2 years now. I just figured it was on it's way out so I was just waiting for the damn thing to break.
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

I did some research, and based on the way it is slow (gets slower and slower near the top) I think it is the mechanical lifter mechanism. They can warp or rust, or may get leaves and junk in there. I'm going to take it apart tonight and see what I find. Seems unlikely it's an electrical problem at this point.

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

In case anybody cares - it's fixed now. Turns out the vertical slider bar was rusty and the grease had hardened. I greased it up and the window works like new!

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
In case anybody cares - it's fixed now. Turns out the vertical slider bar was rusty and the grease had hardened. I greased it up and the window works like new!

awesome, thanks for the follow-up post!

I'll have to check that on my passenger side, it's starting slowing down lately while going up.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Give it a try, it's just a 10 minute job. I also greased the big gear, but that didn't seem to make any difference, it was only the big bar in the middle that is slightly curved, that stablizes the window when it moves up and down that needed its friction reduced.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com