Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Anyone ever fail their smog visual because of an Edelbrock intake?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever fail their smog visual because of an Edelbrock intake?
rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did. The guy at A-1 Smog Test Only in San Bruno said my car ran really clean but he had to fail me because of my Edelbrock intake since it didn't have a carb#. I tried showing him a printout from the carb website regarding intake manifolds:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

"Intake Manifolds
The manufacturer of replacement manifolds determines which of their models are considered replacements for original equipment. These replacement manifolds are then listed by vehicle year, make, model and engine size in the manufacturer's catalogue.
Replacement manifolds may be made of a different material than the original part, for example polished aluminium instead of cast iron, but the design of the casting must be the same. Any manifold not listed as replacement part by its manufacturer must have an Executive Order to be legal for street use.
Carburetor adapter plates are not legal unless they are an integral part of a replacement manifold."

Well he wouldn't even look at it. Of course I also had the document from Edelbrock stating that "This Edelbrock intake manifold is considered to be a stock replacement part..." and he wouldn't look at that neither. No carb#, no smog, he says. Call that number on the wall.

So I call the # and to make an already long story from getting longer, I now have an appt. with the referee to show them/discuss my problem.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever run into the same situation before.

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get the carb #, which intake do you have?performer performer rpm?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem with my edelbrock intake and i just went to a diferent shop ant the guy didnt event check for carb #'s
Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got the regular Performer. It doesn't have a carb# because it's considered a stock replacement part by Edelbrock.

I'd really hate to have to swap intakes just for smog.

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Thanks 50-charge. So I guess my next question is does anyone know of a shop in the sf/peninsula area who would do a smog w/ the edelbrock?
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have them check Appendix K of their smogcheck handbook.

The dude f*cked up by failing you.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problem with my carbed intake. Like you said, it's considered a stock replacement part so I print out the info from Edelbrock's website and also write down the tech hotline number and if they give me any static, I tell them to call Edelbrock directly.

If your car is truly smog legal and being nice isn't doing anything, you can threaten to call the ARB. They are actually quite helpful if you have a problem like that.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
<<stuff deleted>> you can threaten to call the ARB. They are actually quite helpful if you have a problem like that.

I think you meant the BAR:

You can call (800) 952-5210. This used to be the "Consumer Affairs" number.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go to a different smog place.

I passed a month ago with the performer 5.0 on my car.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

quote:
Originally posted by nine:
Have them check Appendix K of their smogcheck handbook.

The dude f*cked up by failing you.

Yeah, well there's a copy of Appendix K on the Edelbrock paperwork I tried to show him but he just wouldn't hear me out.

He told me stock replacement part meant that it had to be made by Ford. I asked him to please show me where that is written and all he said was call that number on the wall.

His other advice was "either put the stock one on or get an intake with a carb#". I told him I don't know of any intake manifolds with carb #'s to which he replied: " I have a 5.0, I have the GT-40 intake on it and it has a carb#" I remember considering the GT-40 before going with Edelbrock and I don't remember it having a carb#. Does anyone know if the GT-40 intake really has a carb#?

Do you guys think I have a good case when I see the referee? Or should I try a re-test somewhere else? The catch with the re-test is I don't know where to go. I don't think I can afford to fail the visual a second time.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The guy is just a dick..go somewhere else. Last place I went to the guy questioned my C&L. I told him it was a ford replacement and he didn't give me shit...but he did make me disconnect my zex kit and cap off the hole. Why? I have no idea. Each place and each guy is different.

Good luck [patriot]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, if one a$$hole fails you go to a different place.

I once was failed because the guy claimed I was 1/2 quart too high on oil when he took out the dipstick. UNBELIEVABLE...

Drove down the street to another shop and passed 30 minutes later.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
screw that smog shop. id just drive around and speak to the smog tech before they perform the smog. usually just by talking to them you can gauge how stringent the testing will be. ive gone to a couple shops with catted xpipes and cold air kits w/ no hassle and they did not even check for any carb numbers.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
I once was failed because the guy claimed I was 1/2 quart too high on oil when he took out the dipstick. UNBELIEVABLE...

That's crazy. I wonder what's up with these guys? I mean it would be one thing if someone brought in a twin turbo for smog, but for these minor things? Even though it's every two years but do they not want our repeat business? Most of us have several cars we need to smog, not just our stangs. Between myself and my immediate family, that's at least six cars that are never going back to that shop.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your car is legal and you have trouble smogging it, take it to a smog referee. most of them will give you a fair smog

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
if your car is legal and you have trouble smogging it, take it to a smog referee. most of them will give you a fair smog

Yeah, I hope I get a fair shake there at least. I have an appt. with one next week.
rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Alright, so just to end this thread, here's what happened. I saw the referee today, I told him the problem, showed him the paperwork I had from the ARB website, Edelbrock, and my receipt for the manifold. At least this guy heard me out and looked at what I had. He double checked with his boss and did my smog. Car passed as expected. Edelbrock Performer 5.0 was okay.

What lesson did I learn? To not go back to A-1 smog in San Bruno because they don't want to hear what you have to say AND he lied to me about the gt-40 intake on HIS mustang having a carb# AND he even gave me a different customer's reciept.

Thanks cafords and to all who chimed in!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com