Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car starts sometimes....????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car starts sometimes....????
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for An86TexasStang  Ford pictures for An86TexasStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello,
I am having a difficult time with my 86 5.0. A few weeks ago I got into my car and drove it about 5 miles and then I got back into the car and tried to start it and it wouldn't start, it will turn over and try to start but it won't. I can hear the fuel pump priming, but nothing happens. I have checked voltage to my battery, across the coil and I have 12v. I have head that I can take out the number 1 spark plug and keep it in the boot and hold it close to the block to see if it is getting a spark. Does anyone have any ideas or ever come across this?
[patriot]

Posts: 323 | From: Vandenberg Air Force Base,CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its your starter solinoid.
when it gets hot it doesnt want to work but when it cools down it will work.

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for An86TexasStang  Ford pictures for An86TexasStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just replaced the starter last year. I has been sitting for about 8 days and this evening I tried to start it and it will turn over and try to start but won't, do you still think it is the starter?
J-

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by An86TexasStang:
I just replaced the starter last year. I has been sitting for about 8 days and this evening I tried to start it and it will turn over and try to start but won't, do you still think it is the starter?
J-

i would replace it and see if it starts.
its a common problem with 5.0's

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Just to make sure, where is the starter solenoid located at? I replaced the starter, but is that the same thing?
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
two gun, why would you tell someone to replace their starter when they said that it TURNS OVER and won't start? Nice way to waste the guys money... [Roll Eyes]

86Texas, check to see if you have spark at the coil wire or plug wire first. You can use an old spark plug to check it, just lay the threads against something metal to ground it, and have someone crank it while you watch for spark. Start there and let us know what you find.

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Sounds good, I will try to work on that tomorrow. I'll let you know what the outcome is. Thanks again!
J-
[patriot]

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 86 did that to me after I installed an MSD billet distributor, the distributor got real hot and fried the TFI module. Replaced the TFI, thermostat, got an electric fan & aluminum radiator and solved that problem.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
two gun, why would you tell someone to replace their starter when they said that it TURNS OVER and won't start? Nice way to waste the guys money... [Roll Eyes]

86Texas, check to see if you have spark at the coil wire or plug wire first. You can use an old spark plug to check it, just lay the threads against something metal to ground it, and have someone crank it while you watch for spark. Start there and let us know what you find.

at least i was attempting to help.
it could be easier for him to change the starter.

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It would be easier to change the shift knob also, but it makes as much sense as changing a known good starter.
Trying to help is one thing, but not reading the post completely before running up your post count and wasting a guys time and $ is a bit different. Think before you type.

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Well,
I had a friend over to help me troubleshoot and he brought over a new instrument that he hooked up to the sparkplug and we got no spark. Do you think it is the TFI module? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
J-

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the exact same problem with my 91 and changing my coil solved it.
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Is the TFI the same thing as the coil? I am new to the game and need a lil help.
J-

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

No, the TFI module is attached to the outside of the distributor. The coil is on the fenderwell. Even though the TFI module is very likely bad (especially if it is original), the stator that the module plugs into inside the distributor is also a high failure rate part for that year. The TFI is easy to change, but I would recommend replacing both, which means pulling the distributor and pressing off the gear to access the stator, or finding a known good distributor to swap out.
The coil could also be the problem, but I would lean toward the stator/tfi based on your description. If you know someone that would let you try their coil, give that a shot first. After that, I would change the stator/tfi.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by roneeron:
I had the exact same problem with my 91 and changing my coil solved it.

+1 for the coil, I had an S10 that had a similar problem and it ended up being the coil.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Well, I have a problem, what if I am getting 12v at the coil? I guess it passes through the coil and then to the TFI mosule? Is that right? So changing the coil would not safice,right? I would also have to change the TFI too?
J-

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The TFI module takes a special size socket to remove, I think it's like 5.5mm or something stupid.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Thanks for the insight. Looks like I have a project this weekend. I will keep you all tuned in. Is there a way to look at the distributor and it show indications that the TFI is bad?
J-

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

not really, but you can pull the small cover off the module to see if the film is bubbled from a transistor overheating. it's not a sure thing, but it might show you a problem.

*edit* 5.5mm or 7/32" socket both work.

[ July 28, 2006, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: BlueOvalRacing ]

rjalx
¯
Member # 3245

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjalx  Ford pictures for rjalx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by An86TexasStang:
Well, I have a problem, what if I am getting 12v at the coil? I guess it passes through the coil and then to the TFI mosule? Is that right? So changing the coil would not safice,right? I would also have to change the TFI too?
J-

How old is the coil on your car? I wasn't sure how old mine was since I bought the car used so my thinking was to change it and if it didn't work then I just considered it part of the tuneup I needed to do anyway. As it turned out, it did fix my problem.

My experience with the coil was no start when the motor was hot.
With the TFI, the motor would start if hot but if it got too hot the motor would die. It would start again, then die again.

Good luck with it!

An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Well today I took off the TFI and took it to Autozone and they tested it and it definately FAILED. I purchase a new one and will be putting it on tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do to the distributor, as in marking it or with the rotor inside the distribitor cap? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
J-
[patriot]

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

If you got the TFI off without moving the dist, you don't have to do anything else. If you move it, then you need to mark it and/or have a timing light.
An86TexasStang
¯
Member # 5806

Well,
This afternoon I replaced my TFI, coil and another problem I found on my car. The new TFI fixed my problem. I found that my serpentine belt was bad and putting a great deal of tension on my car. I just wanted to say thank you all for all of your help in fixing my problem. Thanks again! Have a great weekend!
J-
[patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com