Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » i need help with EFI to carb swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: i need help with EFI to carb swap
ford2racefan
¯
Member # 4750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ford2racefan  Ford pictures for ford2racefan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok here is the situation I have been working on converting my 1964 ranchero to a 1989 302 HO fuel injected but I have hit a brick wall I have been chasing problems for a while and now I am on my last nerve. I want to see if it will be easer to put a cam intake and carburetor on it and be done with the wiring, the computer and the fuel injection. If anyone knows who might be able to point me into the right direction or if anyone might have an opinion or some links I would appreciate it. I almost forgot I need to know stuff like what intake, cam, carburetor or other parts I might need to change over. Any help would be a great help. Thanks
Posts: 53 | From: West Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well before you throw in the towel check out these sites that they do that conversion all day!

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/efi/index.html

these guys have everything you can think of for the swap and even all the stuff for a T-5 conversion! they're catalog is huge and I keep it in the bathroom! [Big Grin]

http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/efi-carb/efi-carb.htm
if you want to go to carb!

good luck! theres allot of peeps that have "been there,done that!" and one thing is theres always someone who documented it on line! i will try to put up so more links when i find them! [patriot]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
recently completed an EFI Mass-air swap on my 85. It was a little different than yours as my car started as a 302. Basically, you'll need:

Fuel - I'm not sure of line size/pump size on the setup you have now, but I ran all new lines (-8 AN for the feed and -6 for the return). There are spring lock connectors on the factory fuel rails - you can either search for adapters or move to a set of aftermarkets. I went the adapter route but plan to switch to 1/2" aluminum's at some point in the future.

Hardware - Look for a complete EFI take off. The things that will nickle and dime you are the sensors/small parts. Find a complete take off that includes the lower intake, upper, fuel rails, injectors, throttle body and spacer, coolant tubes, egr, vacuum tree, throttle cable bracket. You'll also need a throttle cable from an 86-93 302.

Speed Density (SD) vs. Mass air (MA) - you'll need to choose between the two. If you have significant mods (cam, heads) you'd be best going mass air, the computer adapts to changes better. If you have a pretty stock motor, speed density will actually give you better performance and is easier to get running. 86-88 cars ran speed density and 89-93 ran mass-air. 88 California cars ran mass air I believe. Pick a direction and find an appropriate computer. If you run MA, you'll need a mass air meter too. Don't forget the plumbing too. Air intake ducting is specific to SD vs. MA.

Wiring - You'll need an injector harness. This harness is the same for both speed density and mass air cars. Next you'll need a computer harness - this plugs into the injector harness and the computer, making it SD or MA dependant. There are a couple connectors that you'll need to splice/cut up to get power and connectivity to the computer. These are both on the computer (main) harness, not the injector harness.

Look for the brown connector - should be located behind the drivers strut tower in the engine compartment. You need to set up the following:
Red/light blue - 12 volt crank only
White/purple - 12 volt crank only
Red/green - 12 volt crank and run
White/red - goes to your oil pressure dash gauge
Tan/yellow - Tach
Green/Purple and Purple yellow are for a neutral safety switch - open circut allows starting. Should run to your clutch switch and neutral switch on a T-5 (or whatever). Leave open if you have an automatic.

Almost there - look for the green connector, it will be located inside the car right by the computer connection. You need to set up the following:
Gray/yellow - 12 volt run only
Purple - AC idle control - 12 volt when air is on to increase idle speed
Dark Green/Yellow - Fuel pump control - to inertia switch then to pump (really should run this through a relay)
Pink/orange - Speed sensor negative/ground
Green/black - Speed sensor positive
Pink/green - Check engine light

That's about it. Make good connections (that means solder and heat shrink, not crimps) and get a GOOD body ground for your computer. Factory gauges should work fine (4 cyl tach might be an issue, some have a switch 4/6/8 - check yours out, otherwise find a v8 tach and swap it out).

Everything is available for a good factory fit since the 86's came with the same setup.

copied and pasted from 4 eyed pride!

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

http://carbdford.com/

http://fordfuelinjection.com/

[patriot]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cam is fine, unless you want to change it. if you do, comp cams have alot of great off the shelf cams for all needs.
edelbrock-rpm airgap and a 650 demon or holly, pretty much trouble free

ford2racefan
¯
Member # 4750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ford2racefan  Ford pictures for ford2racefan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok this is what is going on I took a 89 302 motor out of a mustang, bought the harness and put everything together. this is not going to be a daily driver and I want to make some serious power out of it. I thought I could do with a swap and make it easer but not the case now I have to cut my frame for the radiator, work on a fuel system for it, and fight with the problems of a swap that I was told could be bad and cost me allot of money. so I have decided to go to carb and build power the old fashion way. does anyone know if I can just stick a carb and intake for a 302 on the 89 motor and not have to change allot of things or is there a big difference in the heads and the way the intake bolts up.
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

quote:
Originally posted by ford2racefan:
ok this is what is going on I took a 89 302 motor out of a mustang, bought the harness and put everything together. this is not going to be a daily driver and I want to make some serious power out of it. I thought I could do with a swap and make it easer but not the case now I have to cut my frame for the radiator, work on a fuel system for it, and fight with the problems of a swap that I was told could be bad and cost me allot of money. so I have decided to go to carb and build power the old fashion way. does anyone know if I can just stick a carb and intake for a 302 on the 89 motor and not have to change allot of things or is there a big difference in the heads and the way the intake bolts up.

why can't you use you orginal radiator?the fuel system is nt that hard, just put an external pump instead. a return counld nt be that hard to plumb in. you dont have to do it like the articles say in the exact manner( ie: using all the high-end parts) I know the harness and electronics may seem alittle daunting, but theres so many articles of this swap circulating its not even funny.

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the answer to your question is yes, you can bolt up the intake and carb
ford2racefan
¯
Member # 4750

ok thanks for the info i have decided to do the carb to go back to original. i have allways liked the look of a blower sticking out of the hoodand i cant do that whth a efi system. also i have recenly found out that ca dmv is going to make me smog the car if the motor was at one time somgable. i receved a paper from dmv wanting to check the vins on the motor and car because i screwed up and said i changed the motor when i canged the title. well thanks anyways
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

quote:
Originally posted by ford2racefan:
ok thanks for the info i have decided to do the carb to go back to original. i have allways liked the look of a blower sticking out of the hoodand i cant do that whth a efi system. also i have recenly found out that ca dmv is going to make me smog the car if the motor was at one time somgable. i receved a paper from dmv wanting to check the vins on the motor and car because i screwed up and said i changed the motor when i canged the title. well thanks anyways

OUCH! So much for that then huh?! [Frown] why did you tell them you changed the motor?!

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
EFI to carb isn't hard, the other way around is.

Intake manifold, carb, air cleaner, maybe fuel pressure regulator/return depending on your sending unit, distributor? ignition? maybe a few other odds and ends. I just did mine with a holley streeet avenger 670 and weiand stealth intake. Pretty easy.

What year is the block? That will be the stumbling point with the dmv. Just tell them it was a mistake and see if they'll go for it. I love falcons and rancheros, had a white 65 in high school...never should have sold that thing.

good luck

A

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

ford2racefan
¯
Member # 4750

quote:
Originally posted by Hozr:
EFI to carb isn't hard, the other way around is.

Intake manifold, carb, air cleaner, maybe fuel pressure regulator/return depending on your sending unit, distributor? ignition? maybe a few other odds and ends. I just did mine with a holley streeet avenger 670 and weiand stealth intake. Pretty easy.

What year is the block? That will be the stumbling point with the dmv. Just tell them it was a mistake and see if they'll go for it. I love falcons and rancheros, had a white 65 in high school...never should have sold that thing.

good luck

A

the block is out of an 1989 mustang 5.0. does anyone have any hits on intake and carb packages. yes i know my mistake but they asked and without thinking i told them it sucks i am going to tell them that the original motor is now in the truck if that doesn't work i will call my aunt i gess. she works for dmv.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com