Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 17" Space saver spare

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 17" Space saver spare
Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,

I upgraded my 1998 Saleen S281 to Cobra-spec brakes, and now of course my old 15" space saver spare won't fit. I managed to track down a cobra spec space-saver wheel here:

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=259

But so far, I have not been able to track down a tire. I called Ford, Goodyear and Firestone, all with no success.

So what do all of you with brake upgrades do? Just get by without a spare?

Thanks,
Chris.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your original spare fits on the rear of your car still, right?

So if you blow a front, move a rear up there and then put the skinny on the rear.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use AAA and keep a full-size spare at home.

Get a flat, call up your buddy and tell him to pick up your spare! [Big Grin]

Chris Tann
¯
Member # 1444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Tann  Ford pictures for Chris Tann  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
your original spare fits on the rear of your car still, right?

Nope. I upgraded to cobra-spec rear brakes too. Anyway, I finally tracked down the tire - 155/70R17, a Firstone/Bridgestone tire, that Wheelworks tracked down for me. Interestingly enough, I actually called the Firstone tire shop directly, and they told me they had nothing available. So, I'm forking out the $120 for the new spare, just 'coz I'd rather be self-sufficient (and there are a _lot_ of nails and screws on the roads around here - one time I had three flats in two weeks...)

Just incase anyone is interested, I'm also just about to fit my Sumitomo HTR ZII's on the rear (285x35x18). I've heard some mixed reports, but you can't beat them for price! Maybe I'll have a go at drifting now! ;^>

Chris.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com