Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Blowing spark plug out top of engine.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Blowing spark plug out top of engine.
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have now blown the same spark plug out the top of my head 2 times in the past 3 days. I am assuming I've simply just stripped out the threads in the heads of my aluminum POS crappy ford-casted heads. I know there are descrepencies in the way which the heads on the 4.6's are cast and sometimes there are plug holes which have as few as two full thread rotations for a plug to grab onto because of just a bogus cast, while other cly's may have 4-5 full threads. Can anyone think of any way to remedy my problem or am I just stuck with having to pull my heads, get them helicoiled and just be done with it? If I do that... time for a bigger port job on those heads [Big Grin]

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can heli-coil them while theyre on the car. The kit is alot of money, around $600-800. I'd ask around at some shops or more specifically Ford dealers to see if they have this kit. I doubt an indy shop would have it since the kit is meant specifically for Ford modular engines. The part itself is around $3.00 for the heli-coil, you should expect no more than 1.5 hours in labor from a dealer to do this job since all the spark plugs are accessable.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard about this happening if the plug is changed and doesnt get tightened all the way....

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Joe, do you guys actually repair them in house?
We don't even bother, we just sell them a new head (or heads)

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell them a new head just because of the time involved in heli-coiling the head? Seems a bit extreme, because if you sell them a new head, then the heads have to come off the car anyway. At that point, heli-coiling the head isn't that hard to do. Some of the plug holes in my head are already heli-coiled from a previous install and it hardly cost anything because of the ease to do it. If I have to take the heads off, I'm just going to heli-coil both heads.

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

stangnut
¯
Member # 5937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangnut  Ford pictures for stangnut    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have never heard of any head aluminum just having a couple of threads for a spark plug to hang on to .of any casting ! all alu heads take at least double the threads of iron heads on purpose to decrease that problem of pullin out.but i have seen the wrong plugs in heads before.if you heli your self . make sure the piston is almost the way up .not all the way so when your tap goes through it doesn't hurt the piston.if u leave the piston down u can't get all the shavings out an the peices of metal get stuck between the piston an its walls, u'll be boring your motor over soon.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
I have heard about this happening if the plug is changed and doesnt get tightened all the way....

[patriot] Spark plugs have torque settings too. If you don't torque them down right, they will blow out.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All modular motors have had this problem, because Ford only gave about 4 to 5 threads total for the plug to grab on to. We see probably 3-4 engines a month that have a plug blown out. And it wasn't caused by under/over tightening, just a bad design. The new 3 valve heads are having a problem with the plugs breaking off at the top of the threads on removal - the engineers are scrambling right now to find a fix.
BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
All modular motors have had this problem, because Ford only gave about 4 to 5 threads total for the plug to grab on to. We see probably 3-4 engines a month that have a plug blown out. And it wasn't caused by under/over tightening, just a bad design. The new 3 valve heads are having a problem with the plugs breaking off at the top of the threads on removal - the engineers are scrambling right now to find a fix.

Thank you for backing my statement. I knew I was correct on this.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com