Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help!!! Weird electrical issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help!!! Weird electrical issues
GTE
¯
Member # 5839

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTE  Ford pictures for GTE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am having some weird problems with my 04 Cobra.

It starts fine, drives fine, but if I am cruising around and give it a little gas, the dash lights dim & as soon as I let off it, they get much brighter & the ABS & battery light come on for a second or so & then its back to normal. If I get on it for a little longer, all the gauges "zero" out & won't work for a few seconds & then do a full sweep (like when you disconnect the battery) and then start working again.

It does it regardless of the electrical load on the car. If I have nothing on or if I have the headlights on, fan on high, stereo on, rear defroster on, bottle warmer on etc.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Electrical problems suck [Big Grin] I assume that these issues are related to your starting issue in your previous thread?

1st thing I would do is check the connections at your battery and make sure they are tight. Then I would check the ground from the battery to the block.

If everything looks good there I would either take it in and have the charging system tested or bust out the multimeter.

The car should still be under warrenty right? Why not take it in to Ford and have them look at it?

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
GTE
¯
Member # 5839

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTE  Ford pictures for GTE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope, different cars. The dash lights issue is on the 04 Cobra. The car not starting issue is with my 92 GT.

Technically the car has a warranty, realistically, I kissed bye bye a long time ago. lol

I have done some research and it is probably the alternator. again.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTE:
Nope, different cars. The dash lights issue is on the 04 Cobra. The car not starting issue is with my 92 GT.

Technically the car has a warranty, realistically, I kissed bye bye a long time ago. lol

Again [Confused] Do the alternators on these things go out a lot?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
Originally posted by GTE:

Again [Confused] Do the alternators on these things go out a lot?
ya maybe your just having some bad luck with the alt or maybe the connection is loose.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
GTE
¯
Member # 5839

Yeah, the rumor mill is that the pulley is too small so the get overspun & it burns them out.

The first one lasted 600 miles. this one lasted about 10K miles

GTE
¯
Member # 5839

Ok, new findings.

No matter how hard I get on it, if I stay UNDER 3K rpm then its normal. If I go over 3K rpm then the dashlights brighten & when I left off the ABS & battery light turn on.

Also, the little rubber cap that covers the hot wire coming off the alternator was all hard & part of it was missing like it had gotten very hot & burned away.

Maybe once it hits 3K it makes too much power & is overloading the car? Is there some sort of voltage regulator?

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy had what sounds pretty similiar in his gt, turns out he blew a fuse that powers the dash. Double check those 1st, before replacing another alt.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
GTE
¯
Member # 5839

Ok, after thinking of what it could be, I thought it might be the voltage regulator so I bought a new alt from PA Performance.

Since then, no weird dash light issues. Just posting my solution up for anyone that has that issue and searches for an answer

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, glad to hear that its working for you! [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com