Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MM torque arm / panhard bar

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MM torque arm / panhard bar
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am finally getting around to finishing up the car and I plan on starting on the rear (MM torque arm, panhard rod, MM adjustable rear lower control arms). Who is running this setup here on the street and:

How do you like or dislike it?
Any problems down the road (breakage)?
How did you (if you have one) install if you are running a bassani xpipe w/cats.

Thanks for any info.....

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had it on my roush and absolutely loved it but the car was significantly stiffer which I didn't like.

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stiffer as in uncomfortable ride?

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well I had crappy eiboch lowering springs... I probably needed some nice coil overs to soften it up? it was a little uncomfortable but handled excellent. That was just me though?

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm finishing up my TA/PHB replacement for my 99IRS. I've driven dozens of TA/PHB cars from Griggs and MM and they're all about equal. MM is better for street.

The ride will be more noticable/harsh with the TA/PHB than the stock 4 link.

Stiffer springs are required for the rear with a TA and contribute to the ride harshness. I use MM coil overs and all the control arms too, so my results might differ a little from some.

I've always known them to be a little looser than most people expect unless you remove the sway bar.

I have the catted bassani x as well. Sometimes you have to cut the x out and weld it back on at a little different angle to clear the TA crossmember. Make sure to use .120 wall subs or you risk tearing the mounting tabs off if you have .080 wall subs. Don't bother with tail pipes unless you've got patience. It's not easy to make work. I abandoned the tailpipe idea long ago and dumps/side exhaust have been my constant companion since, with the noise that comes with them.

Parts breakage has never been a concern of mine with the MM kit. Griggs has lighter duty components in places and I've heard tell of welds needing to be redone when used on the street for long periods.

I love MM kits. You never even have to ask how it'll perform. It's always top notch if you let them build you a balanced kit including springs and shocks/struts. If you're ride sensitive... stay away. You won't like it until you get coil over and moderate rate springs. Even then balance might be an issue. Harsh ride is a comprimise for running over M3's in the twisties.

I use 350# front springs and 300# rears on bilstein MM coil overs.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by r3dn3ck:
I'm finishing up my TA/PHB replacement for my 99IRS. I've driven dozens of TA/PHB cars from Griggs and MM and they're all about equal. MM is better for street.

The ride will be more noticable/harsh with the TA/PHB than the stock 4 link.

Stiffer springs are required for the rear with a TA and contribute to the ride harshness. I use MM coil overs and all the control arms too, so my results might differ a little from some.

I've always known them to be a little looser than most people expect unless you remove the sway bar.

I have the catted bassani x as well. Sometimes you have to cut the x out and weld it back on at a little different angle to clear the TA crossmember. Make sure to use .120 wall subs or you risk tearing the mounting tabs off if you have .080 wall subs. Don't bother with tail pipes unless you've got patience. It's not easy to make work. I abandoned the tailpipe idea long ago and dumps/side exhaust have been my constant companion since, with the noise that comes with them.

Parts breakage has never been a concern of mine with the MM kit. Griggs has lighter duty components in places and I've heard tell of welds needing to be redone when used on the street for long periods.

I love MM kits. You never even have to ask how it'll perform. It's always top notch if you let them build you a balanced kit including springs and shocks/struts. If you're ride sensitive... stay away. You won't like it until you get coil over and moderate rate springs. Even then balance might be an issue. Harsh ride is a comprimise for running over M3's in the twisties.

I use 350# front springs and 300# rears on bilstein MM coil overs.

That brings up another question I neglected to ask. I have H&R progressive springs in back (not sure of the rating) along with tockico adjustables at the rear. Your recommending I change these out now as they will not work with the MM PHR/TA? Just wondering if it would be bad to keep the shock/spring combo without going to coilovers for the rear (will go coilover for the front though).
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You already know how I feel about all this stuff. [Smile]

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have the torque arm but I do have the panhard rod and it along with the rest of the MM hardware I have made a huge difference in the car. The ride isn't that harsh eiher.

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by 03SHKER:
You already know how I feel about all this stuff. [Smile]

Yeah, of course [patriot] I will be placing my order in soon Chris.... [Smile] Btw, I think you told me that you were running a regular type shock/spring combination in back and don't have the coilover (only for the front). If so what springs are you running out back?

[ December 08, 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Standard 350# Hypercoils.

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend has all of it on his car, but now that he finally got the car done he doesnt even drive it. it just sits in the garage.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by 89point.:
my friend has all of it on his car, but now that he finally got the car done he doesnt even drive it. it just sits in the garage.

That is just wrong [Confused]
89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yep,have the time hes at school though but still

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com