Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ELECTRIC FAN 87 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ELECTRIC FAN 87 5.0
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a black magic fan and it works fine but it stays on for a short time after i turn the car off when its hot, but it drains my battery how do it make it shut off with my car? I have two power cables one is hooks up to the battery and the other to the starter selonoid. Where does it need to be hooked up to shut off with the car?
-Thanks-

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha i cant get mine to turn on and you cant get your to turn off
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:

lol. [Big Grin] Yea i saw your post right before i posted mine.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:

lol. [Big Grin] Yea i saw your post right before i posted mine.
i had mine setup to where it would turn off once the temp would get lower than 190*
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Is it the one with the thermostat on top?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Is it the one with the thermostat on top?

ya mine has the adjustable thermo
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

So we probably have the same kind of fan. Did it ever stay on after you turned off the car? Or did you hook it up to something that cut power when you turned off the car?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check two-gun-kids thread and see the picture and write up I posted, the "Switched 12v lead" will not let the fan turn on unless it has 12v to it.

I'm not sure how this is draining your battery though? I had my black magic setup like that for 6 months where it would turn on/off when I parked the car and it never killed my battery.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

A new alternator is next on my list. I have a POS alterantor that doesn't charge my battery for shit my amps are always low ever since I put the fan and my alarm.

[ December 06, 2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
A new alternator is next on my list. I have a POS alterantor that doesn't charge my battery for shit my amps are always low ever since I put the fan and my alarm.

Upgrade your alternator to a 94-95 model. These things put out 130amps. Your charging problems will be history [Smile]

I have my fan hooked to a switched power source (eg fuse for radio) and it shuts off when I switch the car off.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:

Upgrade your alternator to a 94-95 model. These things put out 130amps. Your charging problems will be history [Smile]

I have my fan hooked to a switched power source (eg fuse for radio) and it shuts off when I switch the car off.

Thanks

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a flexalite fan with adjustible thermostat, it ran more with the car off, which was annoying so I wired it to a switch under the dash so I can turn it on or off when I want which is sweet, as long as you dont forget about it.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

I had it hooked up like that for a while but didn't like it. I always forgot to turn it off.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure, but cant you just run it through ignition some how? So when they key is off the fan is off.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the instructions for the fan you need to take the wire that is plug into the "+" terminal and then connect it to a switched source. here's flex-a-lite's web instructions http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/175-99970.pdf if you don't have the instructions

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by Mrk50LX:
If you have the instructions for the fan you need to take the wire that is plug into the "+" terminal and then connect it to a switched source. here's flex-a-lite's web instructions http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/175-99970.pdf if you don't have the instructions

Thanks

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com