Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rotor's & Wheels

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotor's & Wheels
Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just did 4 to 5 lug conversion with power slot 8118 PSL&PSR rotor's and 17x9 with 5.85 back spacing and +24 mm offset FR500 wheels. The problem I'm having is that the wheels are not sitting flat against the rotor. I think the wheels center hole is hitting on the bearing snout. Has anyone else had this problem if so what did you do to correct it. I see two solutions. one modify the center bore of the wheel or modify the bearing snout so the wheels fit. I'm leaning towards the latter because then I can still rotate the tires.

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take the center cap off the rim and it will fit, or you could smash the dust cover so that the center cap will fit
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone didn't do their homework before converting to 5 lug. [Razz]

Either grind down the hub and cap, or run around with no centercap...

There is plenty of info about this on the corral if you do a search, and I touch up on it in my 5 lug article.

http://www.mustangmotorsport.com/sn95conversion.html

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Mrk50LX
¯
Member # 5147

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mrk50LX  Ford pictures for Mrk50LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Luke,

Here's what I found out. The wheels where not sitting flat against the rotor. So if I understood your web site the back spacing is the distance from the the outside of the rim to the back side of the mounting surface of the rim. I measured the distance from the pad surface to the end of the snout and that was 1.4"+- and the distance from the rim mounting surface to inside of the rim is 1.25+- leaving about .125 gap between the 2 mounting surfaces.As a temperary fix I'm using 10 .125 washers. I've ordered from M&M .125 wheel spacers.Even with the spacers I can't use the center caps on the front.
Also from your web site I saw the steering limiters where did you get them? Are they from Ford or a part place like pepboys, Vic Hubbard?

Thanks for your input

Mark

--------------------
92 LX conv W/M&M,and Maier Racing Suspension components. MAC Headers and 2.5in MAC exhaust.70mm MAF 65mm Throttle body

Posts: 34 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mrk50LX:
Thanks Luke,

Here's what I found out. The wheels where not sitting flat against the rotor. So if I understood your web site the back spacing is the distance from the the outside of the rim to the back side of the mounting surface of the rim. I measured the distance from the pad surface to the end of the snout and that was 1.4"+- and the distance from the rim mounting surface to inside of the rim is 1.25+- leaving about .125 gap between the 2 mounting surfaces.As a temperary fix I'm using 10 .125 washers. I've ordered from M&M .125 wheel spacers.Even with the spacers I can't use the center caps on the front.
Also from your web site I saw the steering limiters where did you get them? Are they from Ford or a part place like pepboys, Vic Hubbard?

Thanks for your input

Mark

Mark, not sure what you mean, but to measure the backspacing, do the following:

Take off one of your wheels. Lay it flat on the ground with the inside of the rim facing up. Lay a straight edge across the diameter of the wheel, from lip to lip. Take a ruler and measure the distance from the flat part of the rim (the part that contacts your brake rotor) and measure up to the straight edge that you just put down.

Driving around with individual washers sounds extremely dangerous, lol. [Whoo Whooooo!]

Consider swapping over to 94-95 spindles and get matching calipers and avoid this mess.

The steering limiters were purchased from my local Ford dealer. All the part numbers are on my site.

If you pull back the dust boots on the rack, and power steering fluid drips onto your face, it is time for a new rack.
I have a write up on my site as well regarding that [patriot]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com