Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help Please!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Please!!!
Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bizob  Ford pictures for Bizob  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heres the situation. I was driving back last night from Fairfield to Sacramento. Halfway home I notice that my battery light comes on. As I get closer to home I start to notice that my battery gauge has slipped from the half mark to the quarter mark. I finally decided to get off the freway because my headlights were starting to dim also. As I was exiting off the freeway my abs light and my airbag light also came on. By that time my battery gague was in the red and right as I exited my car started to sputter, I think the fuel pump was starting to lose power. I had to park the car and have my dad come pick me up. Is the problem the battery or the altenator. By the way its a 2001 Ford Mustang GT

--------------------
01 GT K&N FIPK Mac Prochamber Magnapack Cat-Back Steeda Tri-Ax Eibachs

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the alternator died, then your car was running off the battery, eventually the battery died.

probably have to replace both now.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, same shit happend to me. Put in a new alt, went with a 130, and every thing is coolio. Even with electric fan.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
the alternator died, then your car was running off the battery, eventually the battery died.

probably have to replace both now.

[patriot]

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bizob  Ford pictures for Bizob  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. Went and bought a new battery this morning and popped it in and drove it home. It broke down about 10 miles from my house so I kinda lucked out there. Looks like ill be heading down to autozone after work to buy a new altenator also and installing it tonight [patriot]

--------------------

ls1_doc
¯
Member # 6083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1_doc  Ford pictures for ls1_doc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would hust replace the alternator and charge the battery. Charge it before u start the car as that is what will kill a battery

--------------------
02 Ws6 -- Stock :)

Bizob
¯
Member # 3768

quote:
Originally posted by ls1_doc:
i would hust replace the alternator and charge the battery. Charge it before u start the car as that is what will kill a battery

Well i bought a new battery because my car broke down and i had to park it overnight. Instead of calling a tow truck to tow it to my house and waiting for them, I just bought a new battery. I tried to drive it off the existing battery because it had some juice left in it, almost made it home before it completley lost its charge. (I was about 1 mile away from my house) I pulled into a gas station parking lot and popped the new battery in and drove it home. Hopefully it shouldnt take to long to put the new altenator in tonight.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com