Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1990 5.0 keeps dying...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1990 5.0 keeps dying...
LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for LXman25thANNV.  Ford pictures for LXman25thANNV.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a 1990 5.0 lx with upper and lower edelbrock intake manifolds, stock air intake [Roll Eyes] , jet computer chip, and stock exaust. Anyways when im coming to a stop and i pull it outa gear it will almost always die unless i tap the gas. The check engine light will rarely come on, and i can rev it all i want and it wont die, it will always go back to idleing fine. Do you think that it could be a bad o2 sensor and the comp is going into "crap mode"? Is this a common problem with 5.0's? Why wont it die if i tap the gas? Any info will help so i hopefully dont have to get the codes read...
white92FOX
Member # 5846

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white92FOX  Ford pictures for white92FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could be a bad IAC(idler air control valve). This is a very common problem on the fox bodies. Does it surge when it is idling? I assume it is an aod car right?
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could be an O2 sensor or even the mass air. the same thing happened to mine, could be the idle sensor too.

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry to jack the thread, but this also happens to my notch but i was told its a intake manifold leak? [Confused]

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
sorry to jack the thread, but this also happens to my notch but i was told its a intake manifold leak? [Confused]

yup thats wat was wrong with mine until i replaced the gaskets on the upper and lower.

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry to jack the thread, but this also happens to my notch but i was told its a intake manifold leak? [Confused] and its not making a good vacumm.

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXman25thANNV.  Ford pictures for LXman25thANNV.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes it was an AOD car before i threw in a t5...
Its not a manifold leak.
Its not the MAF.
What exactly is the IAC and where is it located, is it on top of the throttle body?
-and it does occasionally "surge" when idleing but not very often.

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was having the same problem, it turned out to be a wierd problem with my TPS (see today's post on that).

You can remove your IAC and clean it with carb cleaner, it's easy to do, just two small bolts and a connector.

I would suggest checking your TPS voltage between the black and green wires at idle, should be slightly less than a volt.

Limp mode would not cause this nor would bad or clogged O2s. If you're not having any other drivability problems besides idle, you need to look at components that affect your idle such as IAC, TPS, EGR, and vacuum.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXman25thANNV.  Ford pictures for LXman25thANNV.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok I think it may be cool enough now to go outside and try cleaning the sensor and check the voltage. Thanks for the input everyone. [patriot]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this can also be caused by the VSS - vehical speed sensor, its plugged into the side of the trans, if the computer isn't getting a signal from this (you said this is a 5spd conversion car) then the computer wont keep the idle up while the car is moving to help keep it running.

its the same location as the speedo cable, the cable goes into the VSS.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
LXman25thANNV.
¯
Member # 5359

"this can also be caused by the VSS - vehical speed sensor, its plugged into the side of the trans, if the computer isn't getting a signal from this (you said this is a 5spd conversion car) then the computer wont keep the idle up while the car is moving to help keep it running.

its the same location as the speedo cable, the cable goes into the VSS."

...um...i..didnt plug that in because the plug was messed up.. [Roll Eyes] ...I was wondering what that was for...guess it's off to Pick and Pull. [dance]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com