Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Harmonic Balancer

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Harmonic Balancer
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a black seal that appears to be coming out of the back of my Harmonic Balancer. Is it bad? Time to change it out? This is the stock one. Plus I am having a slight vibe issue.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes that's bad, yes it's time, yes that's the vibration [Big Grin]
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
Yes that's bad, yes it's time, yes that's the vibration [Big Grin]

and you forgot: do it now before you do engine damage. [patriot]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys! [Big Grin]
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to replace it with an OE one. Will a bad Harmonic Balancer also cause some power loss?
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you set the timing with that balancer, the outer ring has most likely spun and the timing will be incorrect. Be sure to reset your timing after the install.
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please fix this before you drive it much more.....(I would not until it's changed.)
You don't want this to happen to you:

-

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same thing happen to me about 3 months ago. If you have a stock motor, just go to Kragen or Autozone and get a replacement. They are $60. Then rent the balancer puller and you could replace it in a couple hours.

You should do it sooner than later because you don't want to have that thing come apart on you at 5K+ RPM... If it does pop of on you, it is all contained, but it could hurt your bearings and for sure will make a lot of noise...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a50sn95,
What were your sysmptoms after that crack if I may ask?

Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to buy a new OE replacement balancer either today or tommorow and install it either tuesday or wednesday!

As dumb as it may sound, I did not know how serious this was! Thanks again everyone!

Jimmy

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only symptom was the sound of silence, and a slightly nausiating feeling in the pit of my stomach, followed by a sharp pain in the wallet at the machine shop.
It broke the crank at the #2 journal, took the #1 main cap and block in that area out, bent up the oil pan, split the timing cover and water pump. This WAS an SFI balancer that the machine shop says appeared to have been moving around on the crank. My guess is that is was MY fault. I had lost an accesory belt (it cut off one groove, but still worked. I got a replacement, and it had the same problem. I thought it was my power steering pump out of alignment, since I had just had it off. I think the balancer bolt back out, and the Supercharger put enough pressure on the pulley to pull it forward until it came off the key, and then it spun on the crank. I noticed a tiny vibration, and then a big bang followed by the rest of the symptoms above....
Here's another angle:
 -

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com