Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP! LOUD Whining noise (2002 GT AUTO Vert)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP! LOUD Whining noise (2002 GT AUTO Vert)
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Recently i've been getting this real loud constant whine from the GT. Almost sounds like a supercharger (lol), but it sounds like its coming from a pulley on the passenger side. Sprayed some WD40 on the pulleys to try and narrow it down but to no avail. No problem with the alternator or charging, the car runs fine, and no check engine light, just a loud whine when the car is on and increases slightly as the car accelerates. Anyone had this problem with their modular GT's?

Anyone think it could have something to do with the transmission? Maybe fluid? The car only has 51K on the Odometer. I know when the whine started a few (8)weeks back, it used to go away when the car was put into Neutral, now it stays in all gears. The power steering is fine too, ps fluid is full, no noise when the wheel is turned too.

[ June 24, 2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: outlawd94cobra ]

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove the serpintine belt, run the engine and see if the noise is still there. That will help eliminate if it is an accessory drive noise or a base engine/transmission concern. I'd go to Kragens and pick up an automotive stethescope (like $5). Use the rubber hose end of it to probe around the engine to help pin point the noise.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my Jeep i have the same problem, can't figure out what it is. Mine sounds exactly like a blower though and it only does it when i floor it. I don't have any vacuum leaks so i don't know where to look [Frown] My engine is a 92 5.0L though.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlacksheepMod50
¯
Member # 2378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacksheepMod50  Ford pictures for BlacksheepMod50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have that whine.. Its my transmission. You can check to see if it is your transmission by parking your car, throwing it in neutral, and reving the engine slowly. If you still hear the whine, CHANCES are it has to do something with the engine, if there is no whine, then most likely its coming from your transmission/drive shaft area.

Any other ideas guys?

--------------------
98 4.6, stroked to 5.0, all forged, 11:1 comp, cams, LTs, Tubular K-member & A-Arms, Coilovers, Saleen rims, 99+ mani., ported F150 heads. And more..

Posts: 288 | From: Fair Oaks (Sacramento) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After checking it out some more and getting more advice from thecorral.net it might be that my bearings on my idler pulley are shot and needs to be replaced. I'll let you know once its replaced if that was the exact problem.

--------------------
(#18 of 1000)

BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes its the bearing on the idler..

i had the same problem on my 97... [Big Grin]

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem but it turned out to be connected to my stereo somehow like a wire was touching somthing or just old shity wires when i turned off my cd player the sound stoped

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had that problem before and it was the alternator
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Red00GT:
yes its the bearing on the idler..

i had the same problem on my 97... [Big Grin]

One last stupid question: would i be replacing with the "Idler Assembly Pulley: Flat" or "Idler Assembly Pulley:Grooved" ? Those were what I came up with from Partsamerica.com (Kragen/Chucks/Checkers) It just seems to be cheaper if i replaced it myself since my warranty deductible is 200.00 and between those two pulleys its only $16 & $36.

Or should i just get an OEM pulley @ the dealership and pay double to three times the amount?

--------------------
(#18 of 1000)

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go to ford and tell them you are looking for a part/ part number and want to see what they have it listed as. Ive done that a few times.. usually they print a pic up and give it to me too [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
94GT is right..go to ford let them look up the part number and everything...

i couldnt tell you about the 2 idlers you found..i had ford replace mine..the part alone from Ford was i believe $75 thats the idler and bearings. Just buy the part from Ford..since it is OEM..an aftermarket part like that could make u run into problems. As in bearnigs going out again. i just went to Ford..

Get the OEM stuff for replacements [patriot]

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One is probably for a standard rotation water pump, and the other for reverse rotation. Just look at the one on the engine now...I think most are not grooved (run on the back side of the serpentine belt).

HTH

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, finally had the chance to go order the two pulleys from Ford today after a long 3 weeks remodeling and moving. The inner (grooved) and outer (flat) idler pulleys. The total after my homey love discount from my buddies @ Ford came out to just under $50.00 total. Parts come in tomorrow afternoon and I should have them replaced by tomorrow evening. I'll let y'all know who was right......Thanks again for the help.

--------------------
(#18 of 1000)

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Well, turned out to be the inner (grooved) idler pulley with the bad bearings. Since i had both, i replaced the inner & outer idler pulley's. Back to normal again...now i can stop lying and saying "its my supercharger." [Smile]

--------------------
(#18 of 1000)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com