Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » IRS rear-end for foxbody

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: IRS rear-end for foxbody
91foxbody
¯
Member # 5483

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 91foxbody  Ford pictures for 91foxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have any idea if you can put the Cobra IRS rear-end in a 91 Fox-body? If so, what year Cobra IRS rear-end will fit? Are there any better alternatives? I would like to road race my 91 and thought the solid axle might need to go.
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any SN-95 cobra IRS is a near-straight bolt in for a fox.

but road-racers seem to do better with the torque-arm/panhard bar combo instead.

check www.corner-carvers.com

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

91foxbody
¯
Member # 5483

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91foxbody  Ford pictures for 91foxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the Cobra IRS have posi-traction?
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any cobra irs had posi. You will need the rear mount brackets from Ford and a different driveshaft(suppossedly) and it will bolt right in.
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im doing the same thing to an '86 SVO with a 351 heh heh....
jordan0806
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes you can...but I hope you are looking to road race the car because if you do any drag racing at all and make anywhere near 500RWTQ...get ready to keep replacing those expensive axles....
:
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

The Driveshaft Shop, a manufacturer well known to the wrong-wheel-drive people, makes killer sets of halfshafts, two levels of strength, one set is about $900, the 900hp rated pair is $1800. GKN, the OE supplier to Ford, can also set you up with halfshafts. I bought a set through Granatelli Motorsports for $350 that was the same part number that Ford used for the '00 Cobra R's. Sure, you could build an 8.8", but factor in gears, posi, torque arm, panhard, axles, control arms, etc... and the IRS is not too much more expensive.
r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IRS is not what I'd look to when the power levels get over 400rwhp. I have one, I love it and I constantly fight to keep it running on a modestly powered 2V GT.

They're tempermental, fragile in spots, and expensive to modify.

On the upside, I've never driven a car that handles as well as a properly set up IRS stang. They're not too complex to work on but, hard to get parts for.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and they ride much better than a solid rear with torque arm and panhard bar

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com