Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » shredding super charger belt

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: shredding super charger belt
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an vortech S-Trim with a 6-rib setup. I am running a 3.33 blower pully and a 6" crank pulley. I have my belt tensioner tightened to 80lb using a torque wrench.

My problem is that after a few hundered miles my blower belt started to get schreded on the outside rib. It doesn't look like the outside of the belt is schreding just the last rib.

What sorts of things could cause this?

-

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get rid of the plastic tensioner pulley and run a metal one. The plastic will flex under load, with the outside edge being the weakest point...hense the cutting of your belt. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks. I did notice that the belt is close to the outside edge of the tensioner pulley.

Is there a way to put spacers in to align it?

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can try a few grade 8 washers between it and the bracket.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

A couple of more questions. What size belt should I be running (right now I have a 5060530)? How tight should I make it? Also, do I need to re-tighten it after I drive it to account for stretching?

Thanks John [patriot]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a 53" belt with 6 ribs, if I'm not mistaken...You can go with a shorter belt, but I wouldn't recommend "Gatorback/Goodyear"...They have less surface area and even though they run quite, they risk slipping because of their design...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd torque it to ~100lb's. You will definitely need to retighten it a few times after putting on a brand new belt.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Is it cool to have it torqued to 100 lbs if the car is daily driven? I have heard that if it is torqued too much on a regularly driven car you can damage the main bearings.

Just wanted to check.

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Is it cool to have it torqued to 100 lbs if the car is daily driven? I have heard that if it is torqued too much on a regularly driven car you can damage the main bearings.

Just wanted to check.

If you are worried about over tightening then just tighten it a little at a time until there isn't any belt slip. If you are not comfortable with how tight you need to make it to prevent slippage then swap to a 10rib setup.

[ June 11, 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:

Just wanted to check.

If you are worried about over tightening then just tighten it a little at a time until there isn't any belt slip. If you are not comfortable with how tight you need to make it to prevent slippage then swap to a 10rib setup.
I haven't really noticed any slippage. Just the shredding problem. I think I am having idler pulley alignment issues as John pointed out. I will definitely re-tighten it after I install the new belt.

[patriot]

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up greg? I'm glad to see the blower has found a happy home on your lx.

I didnt drive my car enough to notice the problem that you're having. That 6 rib setup came with the blower when it was an A-trim so you might want to consider upgrading to an 8 or 10 rib setup. You will need it for sure if you throw that smaller pulley on there. Also, I think the crank pulley for an S-trim is larger than the one you have. You're barely spinning that blower with the pulleys you have. How much boost does it make at 6k RPM? I'd guess it's only 6-7 psi.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com