Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cam and gear drive ?'s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cam and gear drive ?'s
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The LX i picked up has an E cam and Pete Jackson gear drive.

I have a couple ?'s

1) How will daily driving/performance/mpg be w/ the E cam and no other intake modifictaions?

2) Good and bad of having the gear drive?

I understand the use of the gear drive but was just wondering what the real world opinions are on 5.0s

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cam won't hurt you very much on mpg nor will it show an impressive improvement in performance. It will drive nicely around town as well. The gear drive is nice for precision but annoying after about a day of whining everywhere you go. But since you have it, keep it; or sell it and buy a silent drive [Smile]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pete jackson gear drives are about equal to chrome valve covers, performance wise.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the cam probably gives you worse mileage, worse driveability and less power [patriot]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
the cam probably gives you worse mileage, worse driveability and less power [patriot]

i dont know about less power, but less torque, thats for sure, e cams suck the big one

66 AC COBRA <- former e cam owner [Mad]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was gonna take the came and gear drive out and sell them and then put stock pieces that I have back in with a NEW timing chain.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr JoCo:
I was gonna take the came and gear drive out and sell them and then put stock pieces that I have back in with a NEW timing chain.

Do that. E-Cam sucks [patriot]
:
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My e cam installs idle at 750 without a problem, usually set them at 900 though as it stabalizes the lope for daily driving, zero idle surge hot or cold have stock feeling power from idle to 3k after this it really hits hard in the power curve 12-14 hg of vacuum depending on intake and timing.

The problem is that they aren't split duration thus have poor ability to empty out the gases through the exhaust and they creat a reversion of gases into the intake side. Also have no built in advance which means they don't have stock feeling torque installed straight up. Once you degree them in and do a few changes, they run good.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
pete jackson gear drives are about equal to chrome valve covers, performance wise.

I realize that it's not much use especially in the basic set-up i have on the car but do they have problems w/ premature failure or cause any other type of related stress on other components.

I'm in no way looking for all out performance....i just need it to be dependable and not too heavy on the wallet as far as gas goes.

Basically i just need reassuring that this will be ok as a daily driver ....or should i yank all that out and put some stock stuff back in?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:

I realize that it's not much use especially in the basic set-up i have on the car but do they have problems w/ premature failure or cause any other type of related stress on other components.

I'm in no way looking for all out performance....i just need it to be dependable and not too heavy on the wallet as far as gas goes.

Basically i just need reassuring that this will be ok as a daily driver ....or should i yank all that out and put some stock stuff back in?

I would say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If you are going to pull the front off the motor you may as well wait until you decide to change the heads. At that point you can decide what cam to run and whether or not to go back to the stock timing chain setup.

My understanding is a lot of people run the gear drive to get that supercharger wine without the super charger. I don't see any poing in running it on a stock car.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
My understanding is a lot of people run the gear drive to get that supercharger wine without the super charger. I don't see any poing in running it on a stock car. [/QB]

I really don't want to come off as a POSER [Razz]

...but since it's there and sounds ok i'll leave it til i decide on what to do with the car in a few months.

Thanks all.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i kinda like that gear drive wine but thats just me

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com