Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What do you think of this engine combo?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think of this engine combo?
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock Block Bored To 4.030"
Balanced Rotating Assembly
SpeedPro TRW 10.5 Forged Pistons
Eagle Forged Rods
Edelbrock Victor Sr Heads (ported)
Edelbrock Victor 5.0 Intake (ported)
Edelbrock 75mm Throttle Body
C&L 76mm Mass Air Flow Sensors
42# Injectors
Lunati Bracket Master II Cam
- 229*/229* DUR : 512/512 LIFT -
Lunati 1.6 Roller Rockers
Lunati Chromoley Pushrods
BBK Long Tube Heads
MAC Underdrive Pulleys
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
AFM Aluminum Flywheel
AeroMotive Billet Fuel Rails
AeroMotive Billet AFPR
NX 150 - 200 hp shot Wet Kit

~~~_- Other -_~~~

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
3.73 Rear Gears
Lakewood 90/10 Struts
Lakewood 50/50 Shocks
Steeda Drag Springs
Tubular K-Member
P/S Delete
A/C Delete
Smog Delete

So what do you guys think? Would that be okay for a 12 second car?

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy a better piston, and why not add a crank and have a 347?
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Setup seems fine but I'd run a different cam. example: TFS 2, or comp cam xe274, for a good off the shelf cam or a custom cam.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
buy a better piston, and why not add a crank and have a 347?

What piston would you recommend? No 347 because I've heard of horror stories caused by the rod angle from that stroker.

quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
Setup seems fine but I'd run a different cam. example: TFS 2, or comp cam xe274, for a good off the shelf cam or a custom cam.

I've never heard a car with the TFS 2 or the xe274, a buddy of mine has a Bracket MasterII cam in his Mustang and straight up sounds MEAN. I'm thinking another cam alternative might be a TFS 3.

--------------------

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running the TFS 2 cam and its pretty lopey, and makes good power all throughout the powerband.

You have the victor JR heads and they flow more at around .600 lift, you want to maximize your combo.

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is this going to be a 306? those parts are way too big for a 12 second car

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

He's running NOS with the combo!

--------------------

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would use a better piston like srp, je, cp, wiseco, diamond, etc. Those stories are old news on 347's, I am sure if you ask around here you will find plenty running just fine.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

I think I will look into doing a 347ci motor. Do guys think I will get into the 12s with that combo, a tune & some traction?

[ June 06, 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: MustangNate ]

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you better, that combo with a properly setup car would go 10's, just look at yellow94gt's numbers

that is with a 347, and a much bigger cam, but no nitrous

that combo with the nitrous should be nuts [patriot] , well that is until the stock block lets go on the first nitrous run

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can buy this drop in 11's engine with right exhaust and gear in back
Well it is a 347 eagele forged crank, eagle H-beams, arias pistons, TEA fully 185cc heads (TW'S), Tea cam, Ati balancer two sfi approved flywheels to go with it One never used just had in case of something happening, motorsport valve covers, canton oil pan, Dss main support and windage tray, Built at reggie jacksons in san bruno and was manufluxed at tech craft before assembly. 3900 firm
650-787-1909
You can't touch this motor for less than 8k if someone were to build it

It went 12.2 at 116 with a 1.9 on drag radials comming out of the hole in idel before the exhaust and rear end was done

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also have a full aeromotive fuel kit and full nx race kit

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

I was thinking of maybe going with a either a 357w or a 408w stroker, I decided those blocks could handle more hp and would save me alot of trouble in the long run. Does this seem like a wise decision?

--------------------

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
I was thinking of maybe going with a either a 357w or a 408w stroker, I decided those blocks could handle more hp and would save me alot of trouble in the long run. Does this seem like a wise decision?

How much power are you trying to make? It sounded like earlier you just wanted to run the car in the 12's. You can easily do that with a stock block.
You certainly can make lots of power with a 351 based block, but do you need one? Probably not.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in order to make those heads work correctly on a 302 you are going to have to gear and rev the piss out of it. I would go better pistons also.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
you better, that combo with a properly setup car would go 10's, just look at yellow94gt's numbers

that is with a 347, and a much bigger cam, but no nitrous

that combo with the nitrous should be nuts [patriot] , well that is until the stock block lets go on the first nitrous run

Here you go. 347 N/A going tens in a '94 GT.

[worship] http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/YellowFever/index.php

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And 12's is easy w/ a stock bottom end 302 + H/C/I and 11's are doable w/ some effort. I did it, Jon McCleske did it, Sean and Heather did it, JoeT did it. If a 347 w/ aftermarket H/C/I can't go 11's in a 3400lb mustang, soemthing is wrong.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a different cam

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah i have a stock bottom end with heads cam and intake and i hit a 12.6 on stock suspension burning out , im sure i coulda hit a 11.9 with a lil more work but my stock T-5 blew out and i didnt get to find out. so i recommend a good tranny especially if ur a super shifter like me [Big Grin]
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com