Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » coolant temp sensor

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: coolant temp sensor
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnson50  Ford pictures for johnson50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just wondering where the temperature sensor is on a 88 gt.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned
HP/TQ: too much!

Posts: 256 | From: fairfield/suisun | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are two...

One is on the transfer tubes (to-from the heater core). This one is for the computer...
One is screwed into the intake, driver's side, and that's for the gauge.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnson50  Ford pictures for johnson50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the transfer tubes, are those parallel to the fuel lines that run under the throttle body. and the other is exactly where again? thanks john

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

and john, could that have anything to do with my problem i have.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not john but yes the black ones that run under the t/b.
Don't know about your problem so cant help with that.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I really doubt it's your problem. Did you put the original EGR valve back on? The only one that *could* cause a problem is the coolant temp sensor (the one on the black tubes). Disconnect it, see if it throws a CEL. I doubt it will though.

Have you put any thought into getting rid of that stock intake? A TFS 1 cam and those heads aren't the best combo with a stock intake. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey John,
Is he having erg problems?
If so that cts can have a effect on that.
The egr won't start opening untill after 125 degrees as seen at that sensor.
If you don't mind throw up the problem as I just went through a bunch of smog stuff with mine maybe I can be of some help.
Eddie

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

yes i did change the egr back to the original. i also remembered that on my #6 injector, the sensor that goes on top of the injector, on both sides of the cap, one of the hooks are broken off so the cap can move around on the injector. do any of you think that could no be giving a good connection to the injector?

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

ok i took it out for a drive after i made shure the injector cap is on there tight and now it seem that the car looses power right when i smash down the throttle all the way. so when i have the throttle only 1\2 to 3\4 open, it does not loose power. this problem is pissing me off, im about to drove my car off a cliff!!!!!!!I think i am just going to take to get a diagnostic done on it to see what the hell the problem is. [Mad]

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Is the car a mass air car?
If so have you tried to unhook the mass air meter and see what it does?
If not try that and post back.

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

i have a nearly new mass air meter, it is a pro m 73 mm so that could not be it, now the problem exists through out all the gears. it seems that it only happens when i open the throttle 100 percent. i lose power when i floor it, so any of you think it could be something with the computer or the ignition? and it only started to happen when i changed my engine out with a new long block. a new block, cam, and heads. everything else is exactly the same.

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how about fuel pump? is it the stock one

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

I know it's not likley but try and unplug the Mass air anyway.
At least it one more thing out of the way.
It only uses the mass air meter and computer when your at WOT.
Try it and let us know!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro I have the EXACT same problem. My car pulls good except at WOT. It looses power and accelerates slower than if I gradually open the throttle...

WTF? I changed everything though, and have a baseline tuned chip. EGR, MAP sensor, and O2 sensors have all been turned off via chip.

Where are you going to take it to get diagnostics?
I'm fresh out of ideas as well, I've been trying to figure it out for the past month [Frown]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We would be happy to take a look at both your cars.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

johnson50
¯
Member # 4608

yes i have a new fuel pump, it is a 155lph bbk. tomorrow i am going to hook a diagnostic tester to it and see what the problem is. thanks for all your help and if anyone has any more answers please help. this problem is making me crazy. once agin the mad face [Mad]

--------------------
2003 10th anniv. cobra
2.3l gen2 Whipple
AED Tuned

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com