Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel pump question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel pump question
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do you know if your fuel pump is on its way out? For those of you that have experienced this, what were the symptoms? I think mine might be on its way out. If I am cruising around the car is fine but once I get on it it will start to sputter as if possibly that car is not getting enough fuel.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have just noticed they get pretty loud usually before they die... How old are the plugs, wires and cap+rotor? That would be my first thing to check.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently installed new wires, cap and rotor. I need to throw in new plugs. The reason why I put on new plug wires and so on, was because my other plug wires had a burn spot on like 2 of the plug wires. Only other thing I could do next is to install new plugs. After that I will be stumped!
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? Unless you just replaced within the last couple of months it I would do that before messing with anything else.

If that doesn't do the trick then you can try hooking up a fuel pressure guage and monitor your fuel pressure as you are driving.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com