Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AOD tranny advice please (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: AOD tranny advice please
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's a good mainly street use way to rebuild a tranny out of a 91 LX?

Car might see occasional track duty but will mainly be a ride for my lady (she wants to ride a 5.0 for a while)

Primarily need it to be reliable but also wouldn't mind upgrading w/ a shift kist and torque converter if fairly reasonable in price while it's out.

Also ....recomendations of where to get it rebuild and price?

Thanks all.

edit:

Car has:
-e303 cam
-gear drive
-headers / cb
-eventually 3.73's / pullies / alum drive shaft

[patriot]

[ May 02, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can go with a stock rebuild and install a shift kit with mild converter, OR, spend $1,700 for a KILLER trans/converter shipped to your door.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
You can go with a stock rebuild and install a shift kit with mild converter, OR, spend $1,700 for a KILLER trans/converter shipped to your door.

If you dont mind what's the avg. price for a set-up like you stated?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My setup was $1,700.

Stock setup can get expensive if you have shops do it for obvious reasons. See if JohnB or someone on the side can do a rebuild/shift kit. I don't have a clue what it will really cost. Forced331 removed his AOD and installed a shift kit HIMSELF. We then re-installed the the trans and to this day it feels GREAT for a stock AOD. Shift kit was around $150.

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
My setup was $1,700.

Stock setup can get expensive if you have shops do it for obvious reasons. See if JohnB or someone on the side can do a rebuild/shift kit. I don't have a clue what it will really cost. Forced331 removed his AOD and installed a shift kit HIMSELF. We then re-installed the the trans and to this day it feels GREAT for a stock AOD. Shift kit was around $150.

Would the tq conv. be a wise thing to do at this time or would that be overkill?

I think i located a tranny but it has the stock conv and i'll throw on a shift kit for sure.

Thanks for the input.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a stock rebuild can be $1800 plus

the converter alone is $600 for a good one

converter is not overkill since aod's need ALL the help they can get to just move out of the way

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shift Kit was $59.00 from www.baumannengineering.com Great shift kit, you can adjust the shift points etc..

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best way to help an AOD on a budget is to upgrade to the later 4R70W internals. They have a better intermediate one-way, bigger o/d band, 6 friction direct clutch drum, and a 4 friction intermediate clutch pack. Those pieces, a shift kit, and maybe a converter (IMO, your girl doesn't really NEED a high stall converter, but YOU might [Wink] ) will make a decent street AOD. Or just do what hiddn.o.s said and plunk down the cash for an already built unit.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's Grant and Dan's transmission right down blacow. just head towards central about 1 block(after you buy the car) and turn right. They'll be on your right. You can stop by there and get a quote.

they did my t-5 and im still burnin rubber [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best way to rebuild a aod is to replace it with a t-5 [Big Grin]
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Forced331 removed his AOD and installed a shift kit HIMSELF. We then re-installed the the trans and to this day it feels GREAT for a stock AOD. Shift kit was around $150.

so did I. I swapped the tranny in my driveway, with a floor jack to get it out, the front wheels on ramps. shift kit install was super easy, it was the B&M kit. I'm going with the baumann kit this time for the stang, so I'll see how different they are in installation and shift feel

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
the best way to rebuild a aod is to replace it with a t-5 [Big Grin]

Sorry forgot to state that my girl doesn't drive a manual so this fits the bill.

Also would you think it would be ok to go with a low milage tranny w/ stock converter but before bolting it up throwing on a shift kit similar to the one stated or how are the Transgo or B&M kits?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used the Trans-go, and I thought it felt good. But I don't have anything else to compare it against. My OD is slipping really bad, so I will be looking for some 4R70W internals soon. From what I understand this is basically the "High ratio" kit offered by some rebuilders? I figure this coupled with a Lentech valve body and slightly higher stall will do me good.

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used the transgo shiftkit. i installed it myself so it was a pain in the butt. However, it should only take a few hours if you get the kit with the instructional video.
I'm pretty happy with the way the aod drives now.. that is until i can get the last piece i'm missing for a 5speed swap. [Razz] [burnout]

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
[qb]Also would you think it would be ok to go with a low milage tranny w/ stock converter but before bolting it up throwing on a shift kit similar to the one stated or how are the Transgo or B&M kits?

That's what forced331 did! I sold him my stock setup with 100k and he installed a shift kit. The trans feels GREAT!

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Thanks for all the advice.

I think i'll stick w/ a low mileage tranny and shift kit for now since it will truly see more street miles than track 1/4 miles....and then upgrade/rebuild w/ tq conv. when the time comes to get more serious with the car.

Was the install of the Bauman Eng. kit pretty staright forward? In comparison to the Transgo or B&M kits if anyone has experience?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i paid 850$ for a stock rebuild and a firm shift kit for my AOD. i sold the car to one of my co-workers who beats the living shit out of it DAILY, so far its been 9 months and not a single problem. Precision Transmissions does my trannys, their in Milpitas.

you can get a decent b&m stall converter (2400) for roughly 300$.

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ May 04, 2005, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

[ May 04, 2005, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the install of the Bauman Eng. kit pretty staright forward? In comparison to the Transgo or B&M kits if anyone has experience? [/QB][/QUOTE]

The Bauman kit is straight forward comes with good instructions and drill bits. Its a complete kit except for transmission filter. It only took 3 hours taking my time. If the transmission is already out it will take less than 2 hours. You can adjust a different stage per shift. I set mine up with a stage 2 from 1-2 and 2-3 and stage 1 from 3-4. I heard bad things about the Transgo as far as full throttle shift in OD, heard that will kill the OD band. If you research on the corral everyone will tell you to go with the Baumann. Goodluck!

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

TRIXSNK, email JMIR??. He has a great condition AOD "with" a shift kit already installed. He is changing to a 5 speed very soon so this works out PERFECTLY for you!

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
TRIXSNK, email JMIR??. He has a great condition AOD "with" a shift kit already installed. He is changing to a 5 speed very soon so this works out PERFECTLY for you!

hidn - thanks for lookin out bro [patriot]

I'll be sure to pm him now.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

No problem [patriot]

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your email,
thanks. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
=(

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
check your email,
thanks. [Whoo Whooooo!]

got it [patriot]

...many thanx once again

[Whoo Whooooo!] Cali Fords [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com