Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BLACK OIL SH*T IN MY MANIFOLD-WHATS UP WIT THAT?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BLACK OIL SH*T IN MY MANIFOLD-WHATS UP WIT THAT?
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YESTERDAY I PUT ON A TB AND EGR PLATE. WHEN I TOOK IT OFF TO PUT THE NEW ONE ON, ALL THE INSIDE OF MY UPPER MANIFOLD WAS ALL OIL'LY AND BLACK...ITS A NEW MOTOR HAS LIKE 20 GRAND ON IT..WHAT COULD IT BE...LIL HELP PLEASE??

I WAS THINKIN IT COULD BE RUNNING TOO RICH OR TOO LEAN...ONE OF THE TWO?

WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

--------------------
DRIVE IT TILL THE FU**IN WHEELS
FALL OFF...

Posts: 723 | From: San Jose, Cali. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its normal

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
its normal

yup
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA  Ford pictures for ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know its normal for it be black inside but its really really oily and hella black...ive taken my manifold off before but it wasnt that bad..what esle could it be? thanks for ur input

--------------------
FALL OFF...

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its normal on 5.0, its a poorly designed PCV system in the first place and it pulls oil into the upper intake.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the egr too

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep normal. If you want to keep it clean, you need to run an EGR blockoff, and put a filter or oil seperator on your PCV valve.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

hey wilit..where would i get that egr block off? thanks everyone for the input

--------------------
FALL OFF...

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Easiest and cheapest way is to just make one. I'm assuming you're got a 4.6? Just go to Home Depot and get a piece of 20 guage steel (about $4 for a 12"x6" piece) and trace out the EGR gasket on top of the steel. Cut it out, and drill two holes for the mounting bolts. You can then either substitute it for the EGR gasket between the manifold and the EGR valve, or you can get shorter bolts and mount it straight up to the manifold and delete the EGR valve all together.

Whichever you end up doing, you're probably going to trigger the check engine light. If you've got a chip, you can disable the EGR so the CEL won't come on.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

nah i gotta 5.0. its it the same thing?

--------------------
FALL OFF...

Rickster
¯
Member # 962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rickster  Ford pictures for Rickster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep...
You can also do a google on "egr elimination resistor trick" and you should find some howtoo's on placing the resistors into the EGR socket to kill the CEL...

[ April 19, 2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

--------------------
1965 ACCobra Replica (FFR MKll)
w/ 1992 LX convert. running gear

Planning ahead for that midlife crissis!

Posts: 131 | From: Cedar Ridge | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ALLEYEZONMYCOBRA
¯
Member # 5068

cool thanks alot for everyones help

--------------------
FALL OFF...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com