Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car runs like crap with clutch out??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car runs like crap with clutch out??
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friends 91GT hasnt had O2 sensors for close to a year, Yesterday we finally put them and the harness in...now, the car runs fine with the clutch in, but if you let the clutch out it jumps up to 2,000 rpm and bounces around between 2,000 to 2,300. The code reader also wont work...what could be wrong? we also replaced the TPS and cleaned the IAB...could it be the rolling sonsor or neutral safety?

thanks!

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you unplug the battery for 20 mins to clear the eec yet?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, I did it for an hour or so...

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

I set the TPS to .95 volts, and now the clutch doesnt make anything change if in or out. Now, the problem is:

I set the idle with the IAB unplugged, then I unhooked the battery, plugged the IAB in, hooked the battery up and it "idles" at 2,000. unplug the IAB it drops down to 900(where i set the idle). It also dies coming to a stop. Why wont it idle down with the IAB plugged in? I tried a different one and same thing....they were both just cleaned too. Also, when I was setting the TPS I used the black wire as a ground, but if I put it straight to ground it read different...so I ran a wire and grounded the TPS again.

Any ideas would help a lot, thanks!

[ March 30, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: SilverLX351 ]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have your base idle set way to high with the Idle air valve disconected. With the car warmed up set the idle screw to keep the car barley idleing then plug the Idle valve back in and recheck your TPS voltage

[ March 30, 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Barely idling? Thats not the way I read how to do it on Corral, I read that you:

-set the idle to where you want it with the IAB unplugged

-unplug battery

-plug in IAB

-Hook up battery

-start it, and let it run for 2 minutes

-shut it off for 2 minutes, then start it again with all accessories on, let it run for 2 minutes and then the idle is relearned.

is that wrong? Also, why was I getting 2 different readings depending on the ground?

Thanks!

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

I relearned the idle and it worked, but it still dies on start up, and if it idle for over a minute or two it will surge up once and die.

Any ideas? The O2's and TPS are new, the TPS is at .95v. thanks

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

GOTULKN
¯
Member # 4933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOTULKN  Ford pictures for GOTULKN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We had the same prob with a car... turned out to be the nuetral safety switch..

--------------------
Happiness is being stroked and blown

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was a Driveability Tech at a Ford Dealership for 2 years before I went to UPS Trust me on setting the idle. The minimun air at the TB is supposed to be less then Base Idle. This is out of Factory manuals. Good luck. Two different readings on what because of the ground? what were the readings?

[ March 31, 2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

I cleaned out the MAF and the 10 pins and put dielectric grease on the connections...now it runs awesome. All the power is back, and it hasnt surged yet, or idled high.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com