Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » smoking alt

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: smoking alt
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hi
the car is a 93 4 cyl coupe that belongs to my brother. it wouldn't start so he got me to look at it, it seemed like a weak batt to me so I jump started it, started right away once I connected the cables. I disconnected the cables to let the car idle and maybe charge the battery, less than a minute after disconnecting the cables the car dies and a good amount of smoke came out of the alt. So I'm thinking the alt was dying, which let the battery discharge. Then jumping it and tryinng to charge a dead battery was too much for the faulty alt and it smoked, sound right?
Or is it likely that a wiring prob is the root of all this? I don't want to stick a new alt on to have it also get burnt. All the wires appear ok, along with the harnesses.
I'm mostly familiar with the stangs that are like 10 years older than this car, so I'm just checking with you guys to cover all bases. thanks in advance.

[ March 26, 2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Shok ]

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com