Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Idle tensioner on a 3.8 question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Idle tensioner on a 3.8 question
oldskool
¯
Member # 1457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldskool  Ford pictures for oldskool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last night my timing belt broke while I was on the freeway. Luckily I was able to pull off the freeway safely and call AAA.

I checked under the hood and my timing belt was nowhere to be found. Looks like all my pullies are ok, but the Idle Tensioner that sits next to the Alternator looks like it seized.

The question is, do I have to replace the entire alternator and idle tensioner, or can I just replace the idle tensioner?

It looks like the Idle Tensioner is mounted on the same mounting plate as the alternator is on.

Also, where's the best place besides going to a Ford dealership to get a new Tension Idler, the timing belt (serpentine belt) or if I have to, the alternator in the south bay?

--------------------
2005 Honda Accord LX
1996 White V6 **SOLD**

oldskool
¯
Member # 1457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for oldskool  Ford pictures for oldskool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone? I have to get this fixed by Wed

--------------------
2005 Honda Accord LX
1996 White V6 **SOLD**

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com