Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 Problems
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My girlfriends 88GT has a T5 that we bought brand new last year, and it has developed a couple problems...

It pops out of second gear unless shifted hard, and if I shift into 3rd fast, it gets stuck...Its like between 3rd and 5th but acts like neutral.

Any ideas?Please help!

thanks

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it have a aftermarket shifter? Try adjusting the shifter stops if you haven't already. Check to see if the clutch is adjusted properly? If its grabing close to the floor try loosing the cable to make it grab higher.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a firewall adjuster and it is adjusted just right. It has a Tri-Ax and the shift stops are adjusted perfect too. I am pretty sure its a tranny problem, and am hoping its all a problem with the top part of the tranny, where the shifting rods are...possibly they are bent caussing it to pop out of third, but I have no idea what happens with the fast shift to 3rd...

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Usually the syncro's are common on T5's. But I'm not an expert.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

it never grinds, im pretty sure the syncro makes it grind if its bad.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SilverLX351:
it never grinds, im pretty sure the syncro makes it grind if its bad.

Not neccesarly. as it could be a problem with the syncro assembly.

It doesn't sound like a syncro problem.

It could have posssibly been hard shifted and screwed with a shift fork.

If putting a stock shifter back on just to test doesn't help removal and tear down is a must.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Can you see a bent shifting fork? Could it be as easy as replacing the top part of the trans, where the rods go through? It did the popping out of 2nd with the stock shifter that came with it when we bought it BRAND NEW!!! I thought that putting the short throw might fix it, nope. But it has been fine other than popping out of 2nd once in a while, until a couple months ago when it started getting stuck between gears.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
definatly notice a bent one.

But the shift forks that control 3'rd and 2n'd are two different ones.

I think it was put together wrong up top.

Time to drop it out [Frown]

15mm to reomve the tail shaft gotta pount out the pin on the selector first it'll drop down.

then 10 mm for the top cover slide to right and lift. Oh and before this remove the neutral safety switch on the top cover along with the long pin.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Cool thanks, I did my Tremec so I think I can handle this. Second and third have a different problem though...third gets stuck when shifted hard, and it is so hard to pull back out of wherever it went! I will drop it soon and inspect, Thanks

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

NvrEnough89GT
¯
Member # 5086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrEnough89GT  Ford pictures for NvrEnough89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fostang, Knows all [worship]

--------------------
89 LX

Posts: 224 | From: Union City Ca | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can I ask a side note question...sorry to get off subject a little but when should the tranny fluid be changed? And is that the only thing done when servicing a transmission? I've never changed mine since I bought the car and who knows who did last. Car just turned 160,000 miles
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

I think the fluid should be changed 15,000 miles. 3 quarts of ATF. This is all you can do to "service" it.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I think the fluid should be changed 15,000 miles. 3 quarts of ATF. This is all you can do to "service" it.

now for the dumb question...is it hard to do? I do have a chiltons and am sure the procedure is in there but thought I ask on the board since I'm at work and I'm lazy.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Its easy, there is a drain plug and a fill plug on the passenger side of the tranny. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet and stick it into the plug and unscrew it...then, plug the bottom hole up and fill the tranny up with ATF until it starts to come out of the fill hole. plug the fill hole and your done.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Its easy, there is a drain plug and a fill plug on the passenger side of the tranny. Use a 3/8 drive ratchet and stick it into the plug and unscrew it...then, plug the bottom hole up and fill the tranny up with ATF until it starts to come out of the fill hole. plug the fill hole and your done.

Thanks. Sorry to have veared off subject
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
Originally posted by NvrEnough89GT:

Yeah right I don't know shit.....

I just make it kinda sound as if I do. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
Originally posted by NvrEnough89GT:

Yeah right I don't know shit.....

I just make it kinda sound as if I do. [Embarrassed]

well at least you admittit (sp)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com